Cosmic Ark for Atari 2600

MaximumRD

Heh, back in the day this was definitely a "let's give it just one more go" type of game.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Oh lord. This game is simply a blast to play. For a 2600 title, it’s very unique. No lives, multiple screens with drastically different gameplay, fun and satisfying mechanics, great graphics; everything that makes a great 2600 gem.

I would have to say that one of my favorite parts of this game is seeing what alien creatures I’ll be rescuing next. There are a ton of the little guys! Who needs Pokémon when you have Cosmic Ark?

The Space Zap section is also a lot of fun. It gets so heated and intense in the later levels, and the mode works because you’re punished if you shoot your lasers Willy-nilly. You have to be precise in your shooting.

Overall, this game rocks! It’s a shame we didn’t see a sequel. I would have loved to see Atlantis III.

57 minutes ago, HDN said:

Oh lord. This game is simply a blast to play. For a 2600 title, it’s very unique. No lives, multiple screens with drastically different gameplay, fun and satisfying mechanics, great graphics; everything that makes a great 2600 gem.

I would have to say that one of my favorite parts of this game is seeing what alien creatures I’ll be rescuing next. There are a ton of the little guys! Who needs Pokémon when you have Cosmic Ark?

The Space Zap section is also a lot of fun. It gets so heated and intense in the later levels, and the mode works because you’re punished if you shoot your lasers Willy-nilly. You have to be precise in your shooting.

Overall, this game rocks! It’s a shame we didn’t see a sequel. I would have loved to see Atlantis III.

I definitely recall when first trying this back in the day at first thinking "Is this all there is to it?" and then the next things you know it's 3 hours later and I am still at it. Ah I miss those simple times. 😛😆

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Most Imagic games were pretty spectacular back then.  With the cool silver boxes and always great graphics.  This game was special because of the two different "screens".  Yes, both screens were pretty simplistic.  But it didn't matter, once you played, you got hooked.  It's got the great ramp-up of difficulty.

Has anyone ever figured out if there is a way to tell the difference between the two rom variants of this game? And do we know if the one with the ability to turn off the star field is a newer or older release over the one that does not allow this?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections