Atari VCS Hardware & Accessories Discussion

Justin

2 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

It wouldn’t and I had it on Ethernet. I had to flash a USB drive to get it to do anything.

What version are you on?  The new update resolved the auto update issue. I tested on a NIB VCS.

Edited by Sabertooth

45 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I did that to both after the system got its update.

Are these controllers Bluetooth? If so how do you pair them up with the VCS?

Yes, they are BT. To pair them with the VCS at start-up press and hold the Fuji button until it starts flashing rapidly. The VCS should recognize it.

Alternatively, you can pair in the system menu through devices.

Here's a link to the manual for the controllers:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0609/3658/5381/files/Atari_VCS_Support_Pages_07.01.2020.pdf?v=1663852719

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I use mine in wired mode mostly.  Why?  Because I tend to switch pretty often between classic and modern controllers and just flipping the wire is a lot faster than the bluetooth switch. 

Odd. Both of mine are connected at the same time so I all I have to do is pick up which ever one I want to use. 

13 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Odd. Both of mine are connected at the same time so I all I have to do is pick up which ever one I want to use. 

Yes..but which one is actually active once you load a given game is the issue.  Games like Atari 50 have different controls based on which controller you use. 

38 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

My VCS got a RAM upgrade yesterday.  Someone I know gave me their old gaming laptop RAM which just happened to be DDR4 RAM.  I had no use for it but I held on to it.  All 16 GB now reside inside my VCS.  It's happy.

That's cool!  How easy was it to install?

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

3 hours ago, TrekMD said:

That's cool!  How easy was it to install?

It wasn’t too difficult. Take off rubber feet, remove four screws, take off rear cover (it pries off), and lift top half of shell. Remove a few screws holding the motherboard, detach the two ribbon cables going to the front USB ports, then lift out. The RAM slots are underneath. 

It has a slot to attach an SSD drive if you want to add extra storage space. It’s a really well made computer board. I was impressed.

It is a really neat system.  It needs more original games made for it.  Not for the 2600, not for the 7800, but for it as it was made to do.  Not that I mind seeing 2600 and 7800 games and homebrews on it...I'd just like to see something original and only available on it.  I reached out to Atari via email and told them some suggestions. The response I got was they would pass the ideas along.