Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

- Ω -

Episode 7.  I'd place this one a bit down on the scale.  "Meh". 

Spoiler
  • Exploring the Spock/Christine relationship is excellent.  They've been hinting around it since episode 1.  It all comes together here, and it's really well done.  This brings a lot of sense to the TOS characters.  Loved it!
  • I have mixed feelings on the reveal at the end.  Star Trek V is probably one they should have left uncovered for source material. 
  • That pirate villain...I don't know.  The turn was ok, although we saw it coming.  Once revealed, not very convincing. 
  • Taking over the Enterprise was way too easy.  We know there are what...300 crew members?  Where'd they all go?
  • I *did* like the Orion pirate "captain" and the mutiny aspect.  Fun.  Is it bad that I want to see him again and not the main lady?
  • Imagine you are Admiral Whoever, reading the report of what happens here.  You leaving Captain Pike in charge for this complete failure?  Having someone yell at him at the end would have gone a long way IMO.  Shape up, boy scout!

3 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I just watched the episode.  I liked it but not as much as the previous episodes.  I was underwhelmed by the main villain of the episode, TBH. 

Same. I actually meant to write just this last night. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

It was OK. I think they should have spaced it out a bit more from the previous Spock/T'Pring episode. I did enjoy the reveal at the very end.

I'll admit I like that movie as well.  I don't even mind the special effects.  But that whole "God" story line just made me roll my eyes from day 1.  But yes, the character moments are outstanding.  Maybe this new development will explain a bit more of the backstory to give it more depth. 

I think I recall there being a lawsuit from Gene Roddenberry claiming William Shatner "stole" his "God Thing" story.  I'll have to look that up...

One more episode to go this season.  I'll probably take a break from CBS All Access, unless they start the final season of Picard right away.  If they don't, I'll probably sign up for a month of VIKI.COM.  Anyway episode nine...  ah heck, watch it yourself, no spoilers from me this time. 😇

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

So far this this was my least liked episode.  I understand every series needs/wants a principal antagonist, but the Gorn have never been mentioned much in the Star Trek franchise for them to appear now in so many episodes as a major threat.  I guess, (a least to me) this is the problem with prequels you already know for the most part, that things are going to work out alright, because you already know the future.  As Sisko would say, it's not linear, so it takes the excitement out of it.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I finally had a chance to watch episode 9.

Spoiler
  • Very intense!  There isn't much other Star Trek that I can think of that takes the horror and intensity this far. 
  • I'm kind of with Omega on the Gorn.  Kirk had no idea about them, and that one Gorn he fought was slow and not as vicious as this.  If they'd have called this SNW species something else, it may have fit better.  The Bjorn?  Gornomorphs? 
  • Pulling no punches with Hemmer.  Boy, I'm sad to see him go. 
  • La'an is gone to take Newt home?  I'm going to miss her too. 
  • They simply have no idea how to work Una in to the plots, do they?
  • Nurse Chapel is awesome.  In episode 1, they had her running around like a maniac.  But every episode after has been really strong in building a smart and believable character.
  • They forgot to tell us if K7 was saved!
  • Sabertooth said homage.  Perfect word.  I thought the whole idea was cool. 

Solid, intense, surprising, but I'm not a fan of the Gorn retcon.  Grade:  B+

Edited by RickR