Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

- Ω -

12 hours ago, RickR said:

S2-E2 set in a courtroom and was really good.  A+.

Hide contents

I didn't notice any Easter Eggs in this one, but I'm glad they referred back to the SNW shorts (Gilbert and Sullivan).  And I'm thankful they've brought Una back into the fold.  I hope they utilize that character much more in this season. 

Oh yes, it is a great episode.  Keep watching!  More is coming!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

25 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Oh yes, it is a great episode.  Keep watching!  More is coming!

Oh yes, my wife and I are loving this show!

S2,E3 - Time travel!  This one was the worst so far, but still good!

Spoiler

Why doesn't La'an (or one of her ancestors) change her last name legally to "Smith" or something?  It seems it would save a lot of torment.

Anyway, this episode seems to be missing chemistry between La'an and Jim to make that whole romantic aspect work.  Is it just that?  I don't know.  Some really funny moments, but maybe a bit slow.

B-

13 hours ago, RickR said:

S2-E2 set in a courtroom and was really good.  A+.

Reveal hidden contents

This was probably my favorite episode of the season. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Wife and I looking forward to it, so enjoyed episode 6, some iconic moments and meetings that set the foundations for things to come! I love that this show is the closest thing to classic Trek that we've had yet! A new adventure every episode, focusing on different crew members, It's great learning more about everyone. 

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

2 minutes ago, MaximumRD said:

Wife and I looking forward to it, so enjoyed last episode, some iconic moments and meetings that set the foundations for things to come! I love this show is the closest thing to classic Trek that we've had yet! A new adventure every episode, focusing on different crew members, It's great learning more about everyone. 

I agree on all counts.  Like I said, we've plowed through season 2, which is not usual for us.  My wife and I agree this is one thousand times better than the slog of Andor (which we watched prior to this). 

I had to push myself to finish watching Andor.  It was too slow paced for Star Wars.  I know they were trying to deal with the political side of things but, boy.  There had to be a better way of doing it!

As for SNW!  It is very well done and it can do the tonal shifts just fine because it is more episodic.

Well Star Trek Strange New Worlds seems to "get it" they got the balance between serious, heartfelt, satiric, and comedic, all down perfectly, the last couple of seasons of Discovery on the other hand, felt like I need therapy after every episode, it was way too dark and serious in tone with most characters coming off as broken and miserable. That is not entertainment for me. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

S2,E8 - Under the Cloak of War.  VERY intense.  You guys were right about the shift in tone.

Spoiler
  • Dr. M'Benga has been a highlight of season 2 and here we get a lot more background.  Great character.
  • This episode is reminiscent of Start Trek VI - Undiscovered Country.  And maybe even the DS9 Dominion War arc.  Very well done.  Dark and gritty Star Trek is so good.
  • Production values in the MASH scenes are dang impressive.  I have to pinch myself -- this isn't a movie.  It is so good for a TV show.
  • I'm glad they expound on what happened in Discovery season 1 with so much detail here. 

The tone here was grim and intense, but this made for a truly memorable and great episode.  A+

S2:E9 - Subspace Rhapsody.  It could have been cringey and awful, but it wasn't at all.  Bold.  Really well done.  Very entertaining.  But I'll admit, we like Broadway musicals in this house, and we have a booming audio system which really helped this one.  Crank it up!

Spoiler
  • The Klingon portion of the finale was absolutely LOL hilarious. 
  • It struck me while watching how horrible this idea would have been on TOS.  Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner singing!  NO! 

23 hours ago, RickR said:

Sorry for the delay.  We missed a night due to having to work late.

Work late? What sort of excuse is that?  😆  Glad you liked it!

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

S2:E9 - Subspace Rhapsody.  It could have been cringey and awful, but it wasn't at all.  Bold.  Really well done.  Very entertaining.  But I'll admit, we like Broadway musicals in this house, and we have a booming audio system which really helped this one.  Crank it up!

Yes, this was a surprisingly lovely episode.  I do like musicals as well, so maybe that colors my opinion.  I did get the soundtrack for this episode.  🙂

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Oh!  I didn't know they were selling a soundtrack.  Fascinating!

Oh yes, it was announced even before the episode aired.  I had it on hold in Amazon Music.  🙂  The cool thing is that they used the episode to advance character storylines. 

Edited by TrekMD