Squad Challenge - Crystal Castles (MAME)

Justin

43 minutes ago, Marco1019 said:

I played on Steam for Mac OS via keyboard. I have the M1 Mac & the USB dongle is not recognized by Steam, so I played via arrow keys & trackpad. I guess I'll have to get a bluetooth controller - how's the Atari VCS controller, @Sabertooth?

20220525_Atari Vault Crystal Castles 181989.jpg

First, that's a great score with a keyboard! Just WOW!

Second, I'm using the VCS Modern Controller for this challenge. The analog stick works very well to control Bentley. The controller itself works very well. It's a bit light but otherwise is good quality. You can switch to "X BOX Mode" for use on a PC or Xbox console, so some additional functionality there.

28 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

First, that's a great score with a keyboard! Just WOW!

Second, I'm using the VCS Modern Controller for this challenge. The analog stick works very well to control Bentley. The controller itself works very well. It's a bit light but otherwise is good quality. You can switch to "X BOX Mode" for use on a PC or Xbox console, so some additional functionality there.

Does Bentley have any giddy-up (like he would with the trackball), or is he at a more pedestrian pace?

(I will say that Atari VCS analog controller looks rather sleek.)

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Marco1019!

Congratulations to the legendary @Marco1019 on become our new Crystal Castles Arcade Squad Champion! This was a nice victory for Marco, and absolutely stellar scores all around! Crystal Castles is one of my favorite Atari titles, and one I enjoy most in the arcades. I had always hoped to see the Atari 7800 version released, but it's hard to beat the original arcade version, especially on the new VCS playing Atari Vault. I hope you all enjoyed revisiting Crystal Castles it in this challenge.

@Marco1019 takes the top spot in our Final Standings with a high score of 181,989 points. Way to go Marco! Coming in 2nd Place is the relentless and adventurous @Sabertooth, nabbing 2nd with his incredible score of 167,462 points. "The Mayor" @greenween had a tremendous showing, and was right on Sabertooth's toes just a few thousand points behind, posting his final score of 161,516 points to claim 3rd Place in our Final Standings. "The Don" @RickR fought hard and posted a highly respectable score of 158,046 to take 4th, and YouTube sensation @nosweargamer rounds things out with 61,823 points taking the 5th Place title. As always I'd like to encourage @Marco1019 to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations again to the incredible @Marco1019 and a huge congratulations to all who joined us for a great Crystal Castles Squad Challenge. I hope everybody had fun!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is the 2022 Pole Position II Grand Prix on Atari 7800. Be there!

large.final_standings_arcade_crystal_castles.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Thanks, @Justin , for your very kind words as I'm far from legendary. I believe we all would have scored much higher if we had a way to get Bentley into high gear lol.

There are two versions of Crystal Castles for the C64, one each by Atari and Thundervision. I find the Thundervision version to be the slightly better version but mileage may vary.

Congratulations to all of the gamers who keep the Atari.io Squad Challenge thriving! See you on the race track! 🏁

Edited by Marco1019
Spelling error, plus edited 2nd paragraph to reflect C64 versions of game