Atari introduces NEW CARTRIDGE-BASED ATARI 2600+

Sabertooth

On 9/26/2023 at 3:09 PM, Sabertooth said:

Here's my use case for the 2600+. On certain games, particularly GCC titles, I lose signal on my HD sets. This is on about 10 different 2600 and 7800 consoles on two 4K sets. All accessible processing on the TV is turned off.

The Retron77 mostly worked for this but is incompatible with certain legacy carts, homebrew, the XP line and 7800 carts. While I would have preferred an FPGA solution for homebrew/SD cart compatibility, I appreciate the effort here.

I'm not sure the 2600+ will be any better:

"The 2600+ outputs a 720P signal. Although it seems this isn't quite a standard 720P signal as my TV takes a second or two to lock in and show the output. Also, my capture device in the game room usually has no issue with 480P, 720P, and 1080P sources. But it does NOT like the 720P from the 2600+ and stays in pass through mode. So I'm not currently able to get any direct captures from the 2600+ output."

The 2600+ also has its share of issues running certain legacy carts - both VCS and 7800, and the version of the Prosystem 7800 emulator is apparently at least 14 years old and won't run any hacks or homebrews.