Atari introduces NEW CARTRIDGE-BASED ATARI 2600+

Sabertooth

Atari has announced the 2600+, now available for order via the Atari website.

Here are the details:

2600/7800 compatible

HDMI

New CX-40+ Joysticks, compatible with existing consoles

New CX-30+ Paddles, compatible with existing consoles

The console is $129.99 with a CX-40+joystick and 10-in-1 cart. Additional joysticks are $29.99. The CX-30+ Paddles are $39.99 and comes bundled with a 4-in-1 cart.

They are also re-releasing Berzerk 2600 for $29.99.

Shipping in November 2023, so you can have an Atari under your tree.

Details at atari.com.

Edited by Sabertooth

The fun is back! $129.99!

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

ProductImage-F.jpg

NO CARTRIDGE LEFT BEHIND

Enjoy your favorite Atari 2600 and 7800 games on one system. Not only does the Atari 2600+ pull double cartridge duty, it also features HDMI and widescreen mode for easy connectivity to modern TVs.

Jump right in with the included CX40+ Joystick and a 10-in-1 game cartridge that features some of Atari’s most famous games like Adventure®, Missile Command®, and Yars' Revenge®.

ProductImage-A_00947d66-fab5-43c0-8f3a-0b4216ef5c5e.jpg

ProductImage-A_20036513-5ea7-40ed-8700-3620965280d4.jpg

Features

The Atari 2600+ is an updated version of the iconic Atari 2600 and has been enhanced in the following ways:

- Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
- HDMI output makes it easy to connect
- Widescreen mode
- Enlarged cartridge socket reduces sticking
- Atari logo lights up when being played

ProductImage-B_0f8f2edb-45f7-40a3-8a45-abb110968be5.jpg

ProductImage-A_79a257b5-bdaf-485d-805f-65148be7ac1a.jpg

ProductImage-B_1.jpg

The system comes with a CX40+ Joystick which has been lovingly recreated to the same specifications as the original, and a 10-in-1 game cartridge featuring some of Atari’s most famous games: Adventure®, Combat®, Dodge 'Em™, Haunted House®, Maze Craze™, Missile Command®, RealSports® Volleyball, Surround™, Video Pinball™, Yars' Revenge®.

IMG_0725.jpg

Atari 2600+ Hardware

Featuring a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage. Wired CX40+ Joystick with DB9 connector. Compatible with most Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 cartridges.

Product Dimensions

Size: 10.63” x 7.09” x 2.76”

Weight: 1 lb 9 oz

Atari 2600+ Frequently Asked Questions

Will this play Atari game cartridges?

Absolutely! The 2600+ can play both Atari original 2600 and Atari 7800 cartridges, and cartridges from the Atari XP program.

How is the Atari 2600+ different from the original Atari 2600?

The Atari 2600+ is enhanced the 2600+ from the original in the following ways:
- Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
- HDMI output makes it easy to connect
- Widescreen mode
- 80% of original size
- Enlarged cartridge socket reduces sticking
- Atari logo lights up when being played

How is the Atari 2600+ different from the Atari VCS?

The Atari 2600+ plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges and is designed to look like the iconic 4-switch Atari 2600 model released in 1980. The Atari VCS is a modern console whose capabilities extend beyond just gaming. The VCS offers a Chrome browser, streaming services, productivity apps, and the ability to boot into a PC operating system of your choice, like Windows or Linux. Build your home gaming center with both consoles to enjoy the full range of Atari offerings.

Is the Atari 2600+ smaller than the original Atari 2600?

The original 2600 design was beautiful but came with a very large footprint. At 80% of original size, we believe the 2600+ is able to retain the iconic look of the original, while also making it easier to fit into modern living spaces.

Can I use the Atari CX40+ Joystick and CX30+ paddle controllers with the original Atari 2600 or 7800?

Yes, the CX40+ Joystick and CX30+ Paddle Controllers have DB9 connectors and are compatible with original Atari hardware.

Does the Atari 2600+ use emulation software to play game cartridges?

Yes, the Atari 2600+ uses emulation technology to play game cartridges. View the full list of compatible games below:

:mac_alert:

Atari 2600+ Compatibility

large.Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility-1.gif

large.Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility-2.gif

large.Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility-3.gif

large.Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility-4.gif

large.Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility-5.gif

large.Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility-6.gif

I think this is a good value considering that it's 7800 compatible and come with the 10-in-1 cart. Plus, it certainly looks the part.

I wonder how it compares to the Retron 77 ($79.99) in terms of software compatibility and customization. The Retron 77 leaves much to be desired out of the box, but the community build adds a ton of functionality.

The enhanced version of Berzerk has voice synthesis! So that's cool.

My order is in, so I guess we'll see in November.

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus?_kx=7lRozU30jIey-o4ovZSu1DO34JBlBOjqiOzYYvXS_RwM1nrYB3utgKB2FOEVEDur.Vvtdy7

HDMI out, SD card, widescreen support, plays 2600 and 7800 cartridges and most importantly... The Atari logo lights up. 

I guess it runs games under emulation though?  Any thoughts on this development?  Anybody been waiting for an easier way to hook these up to modern TVs like this for 7800 games?  Honestly I think 99.99 would've been a sweet price 129 isn't bad but not great either. 

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

1 hour ago, Silver Back said:

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus?_kx=7lRozU30jIey-o4ovZSu1DO34JBlBOjqiOzYYvXS_RwM1nrYB3utgKB2FOEVEDur.Vvtdy7

HDMI out, SD card, widescreen support, plays 2600 and 7800 cartridges and most importantly... The Atari logo lights up. 

I guess it runs games under emulation though?  Any thoughts on this development?  Anybody been waiting for an easier way to hook these up to modern TVs like this for 7800 games?  Honestly I think 99.99 would've been a sweet price 129 isn't bad but not great either. 

There is no mention of an SDcard slot. That said, it could still be possible to 'hack' these in the future through the USB port for power provided it includes data lines on it. But it is confirmed to be an emulation device that works in the same way the Retron-77 does. Only it can do 2600 and 7800 games and the compatibility list is a bit better than the R-77 I'm told. 

But being an emulation device that is dumping the game contents will pretty much mean that most modern home brews that use additional hardware in the cartridge are a no go for this thing. It also isn't known what emulators they are using for the games. 

And yes, I've already put in a pre-order because of course I did... 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Oh nice, Fatal Run works, so Carrot Kingdomᵀᴹ should work. They both use F4 Bankswitching. 😁

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

@Silver Back- where is an SD card slot mentioned in the specs? The memory listed is onboard.

So, Atari is partnering with Plaion to bring this out. They are formerly Koch Media and are now part of Embracer Group. This is a HUGE global conglomerate. It means broad distribution and market reach. Also resources.

In terms of is anyone wanting an easier way to play 2600/7800 carts on a modern TV; yes please. I have two modded 7800s and while they are generally great via an upscale, some games glitch on my 4K.

Edited by Sabertooth

I'm taking the wait and see approach. The 2600+ has no practical application for me as I play on original hardware with a tube TV. I also prefer to use SD card cartridges whenever possible, so I'd be curious about compatibility with the Harmony Encore, Dragonfly, and the 7800 GD.

I got a Retron 77 when it came out just to have one because I thought it looked cute. I may end up getting the 2600+ eventually.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

I'm taking the wait and see approach. The 2600+ has no practical application for me as I play on original hardware with a tube TV. I also prefer to use SD card cartridges whenever possible, so I'd be curious about compatibility with the Harmony Encore, Dragonfly, and the 7800 GD.

I got a Retron 77 when it came out just to have one because I thought it looked cute. I may end up getting the 2600+ eventually.

If my family got for me I would not complain. I can't swing it atm. But it's not a necessity for me either. I've got plenty of hardware. 😅

But I like the idea and appreciate the effort. It would be really cool if it sells well and leads to a 5200 that can use cartridges and has nice controllers.

Also a new TOS powered PC like a Neo-Falcon or something. It would probably be running Hatari under the hood, but reusing the original shells with a good keyboard and HDMI would be nice. Hail Mary would be if they bought the Coldfire project or something and gave us some legit hardware.

45 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

But I like the idea and appreciate the effort. It would be really cool if it sells well and leads to a 5200 that can use cartridges and has nice controllers.

I think if the new Atari was ever audacious enough to do that, it would have to be an Atari 8-Bit Computer / Atari 5200 combo with keyboard and two cartridge ports. Think of a smaller Atari XEGS that could also swallow a 5200 cartridge.

21 minutes ago, Justin said:

I think if the new Atari was ever audacious enough to do that, it would have to be an Atari 8-Bit Computer / Atari 5200 combo with keyboard and two cartridge ports. Think of a smaller Atari XEGS that could also swallow a 5200 cartridge.

Dear lord is that even possible?  The 5200 carts are huge!  Revamp the XEGS to include the 5200 chipset and let it run 5200 software.  Modern tech should allow for a decent controller.

OK...all kidding aside.  This new Atari has my attention.  This new 2600+ is pretty cool.  I just hope it lives up to the original.  I like the controllers and how they are keeping the original styling.  I'd like to know where they found those old time slider switches for the console? I haven't seen new switches like that in a very long time now.

37 minutes ago, Justin said:

I could go for that. I have more than enough A8s, but a modern one that could play my 5200 carts too would be nice.

Still, new 6502s being produced, so could even design one around that with FPGA for the rest. Though 100% they would probably just emulate. 😛

Now that we have a killer new Jag emulator too. They could roll out the Jag shells, and put a new Jag. Then maybe the Jag would get some more love in the general gaming public.

Edited by Jinroh

3 hours ago, RickR said:

It looks like Berzerk (enhanced) and Mr. Run and Jump -- both available for pre-order at $30, don't include a box or instructions.  Cart only.  Still a good deal, but I think the picture is misleading. 

image.png.dd90a0c4ed325f8402f0cd1af351242d.png

Looks like box and cart, no manual.  Based on the product pages, though, there will be digital pdf manuals for download at a later date!

The Berzerk Enhanced Edition is NOT the same as Mike Mika's Berzerk - Voice Enhanced version that he released in 2002.  The new version offers robots with diagonal shooting.

The system is most certainly running an emulator.  The CPU is the same as used in the Retron77, which means the 2600+ has all the same incompatibility problems as the Retron77.  This also means flash carts like the Harmony and ARM-based homebrews won't work.  Also, the games listed on Atari's compatibility chart marked as 'untested' very likely don't work.  In other words, it's just another Retron77, with the additional feature of being able to run 7800 carts.  It's odd that the system is compatible with 7800 carts, yet the only joystick being sold is the standard (1-button) model.

Edited by Scott Stilphen

I was just talking about this over dinner with my wife and we both decided that price point of $130 is a steal.  I remember my parents paying $180 for our real VCS in 1980...so this thing is cheaper than the original was when new NOT EVEN CONSIDERING INFLATION! 

This is exactly what many retro gamers have been dreaming of for 25 years.  Dear Atari:  this is so awesome.  I applaud you. 

My order is in. I think the price is fair for 2600/7800 compatibility, a controller and the 10-in-1. The paddle bundle is an excellent value at $39 with a 4-in-1. I'm very curious about compatibility with homebrew since this is emulation and not FPGA. I suspect that many homebrews will not work but will be ecstatic if proven wrong.

I also picked up Berzerk Enhanced since I'm a sucker for voice synthesis and $29 is a decent ask.