I never had an original GAMEBOY back in the day.

MaximumRD

Amazingly, I never had an original GAMEBOY back in the day. Honestly, one time I came REALLY close, like I went into this small shop near me and even asked to look at one, I knew the popularity of them and of course I had loved my NES. Maybe I was still too impressionable back then but the sales clerk, a young fella but older then me was so Anti-GAMEBOY lol, was like naw man, don't waste your money, it's for little kid this system. Not that I was considering or could afford any alternative at the time but I never reconsidered. Who knows, maybe it was a mistake. No doubt I'd of had plenty of fun with one. Of course years later, getting into retro gaming, revisiting my childhood I see it differently. Never DID get an OG Gameboy, my first was actually a Gameboy Advance SP and over the years from collecting I did happen to obtain THIS little beauty, a GAMEBOY POCKET given to me actually, only have a couple of carts for it though.....

WIN_20230923_16_30_07_Pro.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Nice! The GB Pocket is my favorite form factor.

I never had an original Gameboy, could never afford one. Then in 1996, I finally got one, it was cheap enough at Toys 'R Us. I got a Silver GB Pocket and Mega Man II for the Gameboy. Played the heck out of it. Weird that the older boy hated the Gameboy. Plenty of good NES games like Castlevania, Zelda, and Final Fantasy on there for older kids.

My brother and I wanted both Pokemon Red and Blue, he got Blue, I got Red, we shared my Gameboy every 30 mins. That cramped the style of playing Pokemon, but we made it work. 😛

The IPS kits for GB Pockets are easy to install. I installed an older backlight in my Black GB Pocket, but the IPS ones blow those old ones away. I am going to put one in mine once I get an extra $60. They are a nice quality of life improvement, though I don't mind the original GB Pocket screen it's nice.

I read a paper I wrote in High School, about my time from Primary School to HIgh School. Apparently in 7th grade Science Class, I'd just sit in the back of the class and play my Gameboy. 😛 

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

12 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

Weird that the older boy hated the Gameboy. Plenty of good NES games like Castlevania, Zelda, and Final Fantasy on there for older kids.

Looking back on it, I THINK he was more one of those cool edgy SEGA types 😝I am guessing not much of a salesperson either, maybe he was secretly jealous of Nintendo sales. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

11 minutes ago, Justin said:

Welcome to the world of Game Boy modding. And photography! @MaximumRD I've had a lot of fun exploring what can be done. There's so much available now in terms of modding and making it your own, and hacking it to do really cool and fun things.

Not sure I will get into any of the modding at this point though it IS amazing the screens that can be swapped in these days. 

- M. Bison

Oh and FYI THESE are my original carts, not much but a couple of nice titles, I cannot play Japanese Mahjong even if it had an option for English I don't know the game and a couple are GBC but I have the GBA SP to play those. 

381377058_10161673907058109_3447088511088727945_n.jpg

381268435_10161673909328109_771605111641852905_n.jpg

Edited by MaximumRD

- M. Bison

Good games. 🙂 I used to like Marble Madness on the NES, how is it on the GB?

On 9/23/2023 at 8:25 PM, MaximumRD said:

Looking back on it, I THINK he was more one of those cool edgy SEGA types 😝I am guessing not much of a salesperson either, maybe he was secretly jealous of Nintendo sales. 

Haha that could be, the old heated rivalry. 😛

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This video may be of interest, @MaximumRD...

Indeed I was watching it earlier in fact. This channel was previously LinuxFanMan (Bill Hafenrichter), we converse often as I was subbed to him for years as well he is in my Facebook Classic Gaming & Computing (and modern) Group. 😁

https://www.facebook.com/groups/maximumrdclassic

Screenshot 2023-11-25 113340.jpg

Edited by MaximumRD

- M. Bison

I didn't had a Game Boy when it first came out either...  Back then I was in senior high I lost interest in Nintendo games in general.  I was more interested in computer games plus whatever Tetris fix I needed I got from the school's computer labs with the B&W Macs (Also had a Tetris clone for my 8-bit Atari).

When the Game Bot Color first came out, I thought it was a "colorized" GB but when I saw Super Mario Bros. DX on a TV commercial I thought "That's a portable NES!"  And I was into the nostaglic stage for such games again so I got one for Christmas.  I grabbed whatever NES ports and other classic arcade conversions I can get plus I got some used Game Boy carts.  TBH, I actually enjoyed those games and if I didn't like the spinach green color I can change the pallete when powering on the game.

I really loved my Atomic Purple GBC and got some machine accessories with the Shock 'n' Rock as my favorite along with the much needed Worm Light.  But eventually I traded it all in for a Game Boy Advance as part of an upgrade deal from GameStop...

Edited by MistaMaddog