Recharged Squad Challenge 022 - MISSILE COMMAND 3D (JAGUAR 30 EDITION)

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

MISSILE COMMAND 3D
Atari VCS (2020)/ATARI JAGUAR
Controller: MODERN /
PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: VIRTUAL/NORMAL
Play on: Real Hardware/Emulation ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST DECEMBER 31, 2023

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 1st through December 31, 2023.  Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

For this special 30th Anniversary Round, we're allowing cross platform play. Have Missile Command 3D for the Jaguar?  Join in the fun!  Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, save states, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing MISSILE COMMAND 3D in VIRTUAL mode (Normal). Select Normal difficulty and play for the highest score possible!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our twenty-second Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're continuing our celebration of the 30th Anniversary of the Atari Jaguar by playing one of the platform's unsung heroes: MISSILE COMMAND 3D

A late release in the life of the Jaguar, Missile Command 3D is notable as the only game developed for the Jaguar's ill-fated Jaguar VR headset.  It is also right behind T2K as one of the best updated classic Atari games to hit the Jaguar. 

A true Jaguar exclusive, the game is hard to find and has become prohibitively expensive in the last several years.  With the release of Atari 50 Missile Command 3D is the more accessible than ever! 

We invite everyone to join in the month-long celebration, whether on Atari 50, original hardware or the excellent BigPEmu by Rich Whitehouse!

Club VCS Recharged Squad Contest

This game is the sixth title in our fourth Club VCS contest giveaway! Prize details were announced in the ClubVCS fanzine!

1)  All challenge participants will receive one (1) entry for each challenge in which they submit a valid score!

2) The top scorer of each challenge will receive two (2) additional entries - for a total of three (3) entries in a single challenge!

3) On Twitch or Youtube?  Stream or record and post your ClubVCS high score attempt for one (1) additional entry in each round.  You must post a public link to the video in the Challenge.

BUT ARE THERE BUTTONS? 

Yes! We've made another set of ClubVCS buttons to celebrate the games in this series. There will be two ways to get a button set.

1) Win a challenge.

2) Post a valid score to all challenges in the 6 game series.

Only one button set will be mailed per member during the series.

This contest is open to everybody, including Atari I/O Moderators, with a U.S. or Canada  mailing address. It's really easy, all you have to do is participate be a Club VCS member and participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I'm taking part in this one, whether it's via BigPEmu or VCS. Good luck to all of the participants!

I do have a question re: Atari 50. I've yet to purchase it for the VCS. I spotted Atari's tweet with an announcement for Tuesday morning at 9am ET. Should I wait until then to purchase Atari 50 or should I just purchase it straightaway?

2 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

I'm taking part in this one, whether it's via BigPEmu or VCS. Good luck to all of the participants!

I do have a question re: Atari 50. I've yet to purchase it for the VCS. I spotted Atari's tweet with an announcement for Tuesday morning at 9am ET. Should I wait until then to purchase Atari 50 or should I just purchase it straightaway?

It will be cool to have you participate!

No need to wait on Atari50 - it will be updated for everyone.

All right, I had never played this game before, and I have to say it's not really working for me. I am not entirely sure how to play it, but it feels like I am playing it wrong. At least I finally figured out that I could switch missile silos! Not really sure why some enemies seemed to be bullet sponges while others weren't, and never really figured out how the bomb worked, it seemed to just explode in front of my face without damaging anything. 

So, I'll take the participation ribbon this holiday season with 12,090:

MPG Game Recording 2023-12-19_23-15-02.jpg

I feel that - I can see that there are different status bars with unknown function which puzzles me!  Granted, I only played a couple times so far, so I'll go look more up on it before trying again.

The real sad part:  Within Atari50, the button mapping controls in the "how to play" menu were all labeled for classic Missile Command, and not the virtual!  Not super helpful 😅

default_pole_position_blimp_big.gifCongratulations SABERTOOTH!

Congratulations @Sabertooth, the winner of our MISSILE COMMAND 3D Squad Challenge!

Sabertooth blasted his way to the top of our leaderboard with 83,060! @D.joe defended his cities to take second with 72,600.  @Smell Dawg rounded out the podium with a third place finish of 32,140.  @RickR, @socrates63 and @Mockduck also joined in on the polygon blasting 3D action!

As the winner of this round @Sabertooth will receive 3 entries in the upcoming giveaway

Everyone else will receive one entry!

I'd like to encourage @Sabertooth to post this high score on the Scoreboard so we can make sure this Challenge continues on!

Congratulations to Sabertooth on a fantastic win and to everyone else who jumped in!  Missile Command 3D is an often overlooked take on the arcade classic and a great way to celebrate the Jaguar's 30th on real hardware, emulation or Atari50!  Could you imagine playing Virtual Missile Command with a working Jaguar VR headset?

image.png

NOTE: Series Five of the Recharged Squad Challenge kicks off with Quantum: Recharged!  Be There!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif.1477e13df3b11a4b12f5c8b15459a89f.gif

10 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

default_pole_position_blimp_big.gifCongratulations SABERTOOTH!

Congratulations @Sabertooth, the winner of our MISSILE COMMAND 3D Squad Challenge!

Sabertooth blasted his way to the top of our leaderboard with 83,060! @D.joe defended his cities to take second with 72,600.  @Smell Dawg rounded out the podium with a third place finish of 32,140.  @RickR, @socrates63 and @Mockduck also joined in on the polygon blasting 3D action!

As the winner of this round @Sabertooth will receive 3 entries in the upcoming giveaway

Everyone else will receive one entry!

I'd like to encourage @Sabertooth to post this high score on the Scoreboard so we can make sure this Challenge continues on!

Congratulations to Sabertooth on a fantastic win and to everyone else who jumped in!  Missile Command 3D is an often overlooked take on the arcade classic and a great way to celebrate the Jaguar's 30th on real hardware, emulation or Atari50!  Could you imagine playing Virtual Missile Command with a working Jaguar VR headset?

image.png

NOTE: Series Five of the Recharged Squad Challenge kicks off with Quantum: Recharged!  Be There!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif.1477e13df3b11a4b12f5c8b15459a89f.gif

Congrats to @Sabertooth, and everyone who participated!  This is a fun game, with some great options and interesting updates.

As for me:  "Not last place!" is something to celebrate!!!