Atari 2600+ Casual Play Series

Sabertooth

12 hours ago, TrekMD said:

You know, despite the limitations, this port of Q*bert is really nicely done. 

100% The gameplay is there, the colors are nice to look at and it plays a nice tune between waves. This was always one of my favorite games for the 2600.  IMO, this cart deseverves to be in everyones collection.

Edited by sramirez2008

The second game in the 2600+ Casual series is Ms. Pac-Man.  The wizards at GCC did an amazing job with this port.  I was too young to know that Tod Frye's Pac-Man was bad - I played the heck out of it - but even my six-year old self knew this was an improvement. 

I loved Mrs Pac-Man when it first came out! It was such an improvement over Pac-Man and I never tired of playing it, even today. The worst was trying to get to 100k points as a kid and I would typically die somewhere in the mid 95k or so area and there were no continues of course so you would have to start again. 

Oh, Dig Dug on the 2600 is awesome!  Atari did a much better job adapting this game compared to what Coleco did with Mr. Do!  At least on this game you can make tunnels.  No such luck on Mr. Do!  You just erase everything and there are no tunnels!  Unfortunate as the game is otherwise pretty good.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

I was a little late with the fourth installment due to holiday travel and work commitments.  Here is the first 7800 game in the series: Robotron 2084!  I got into the 7800 later in life and adore all of the GCC developed launch titles, and Robotron is one of my absolute favorites. 

Played with the @RetroGameBoyz Robotron controller, which I was thrilled to find working as expected. 

Edited by Sabertooth

3 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

This is a really impressive port and showcases the capabilities of the 7800.

Gotta agree with that assessment.  It is one awesome game and one that can be played with dual sticks!  It gives the game an even truer arcade feel!

The 2600+ Casual Play series returns to Saturday morning with another 7800 game: Mario Bros.

I always thought it was wild that Atari released this port in 1988, presumably under the earlier (pre-NES) licensing agreement. It's a solid port and probably the best of the three Nintendo properties to make it to the 7800.

The first Activision game to hit the series is Seaquest (1983). I love Steve Cartwright's work on the 2600. Barnstorming, Seaquest, Megamania, Frostbite...great stuff.

Seaquest is one I came to as an adult.  I love the bright colors and simple but challenging gameplay. I really wanted a patch worthy score, but it was not to be...

What do you think of Seaquest?

1 hour ago, Smell Dawg said:

It's fun time - I always end up getting frantically worked up playing it!  The most unforgettable piece of Seaquest is definitely the TV ad for it 😆 - they don't make 'em like that anymore!

YouTube - Seaquest (Atari 2600) Ad

I have never seen that commercial! Why does Neptune have a horde of pirate submarines at his command? It seems like it should have been sharks and merfolk.

8 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

This is my 2nd most favorite (H.E.R.O. is #1 for me) Activision game. Love the gameplay and SFX. My personal HS is 148,190 and has been recorded on the PlusCart Highscore Club page for Seaquest.

IMG_3072.jpg

This is such a cool game!  Activision always made the 2600 shine!  Did you earn that patch back in the day?