Atari 2600+ Casual Play Series

Sabertooth

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This is such a cool game!  Activision always made the 2600 shine!  Did you earn that patch back in the day?

I wish. I have a patch for all of the games (see below) that I have personally qualified for. I've purchased them over the years, since 2008.

Crackpots
Enduro 
Grand Prix 
Kaboom 
Keystone Kapers 
Pitfall!
River Raid 
Seaquest 

These three are my favorites, because I was able to have the developers sign the boxes during PRGE 2019.

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3079.jpeg

IMG_3080.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

I wanted to follow-up Seaquest with Atari's own underwater odyssey: Aquaventure! 

This is a fun game and it amazes me that Atari didn't release it in 1983.  I love the colorful sprites - especially on a CRT.  The lose a little something in HD.  This is the XP Standard Edition cart that Atari released last year.  For those that don't know, an XP cart will not work on a Retron77 - so the 2600 plus is a great way to experience this and the other XP titles. 

Bringing Crystal Castles home to the 2600 was ambitious to say the least.  Some would argue that attempting a pseudo-3D, trackball controlled arcade game filled with bright castles and colorful characters to Atari's (by 1984) seven year old console was an effort in futility.  But when did that ever stop Atari?

Programmed by Peter Niday, this port does an admirable job with pseudo-3D castles, a variety of enemies, between level tunes and - most importantly - Bentley Bear! The translation to the 2600 is not all gems and honey. Control with the joystick - particularly a stiff CX-40 - can be a wrist wrecking chore. Still, worth checking out if only for Atari's furry mascot!

"It is the nineties and there is time for KLAX..."

I'm celebrating beta firmware v1.1 REV2 with gameplay of the prototype of KLAX for the Atari 7800. This was one of the games that had not worked for me until the update.

Programmed by David Dentt, KLAX was one of several completed titles that were shelved by Atari late in the life of console. A port of the Atari Games' arcade game, the 7800 version does a fair job of bringing the puzzler home. It's too bad that we didn't get the full release as this is far superior to the 2600 game. If only it had some sweet pokey music to compliment the gameplay...

Is there time for KLAX in 2024?  You bet!

The recent firmware resolved graphics glitched in Pole Position II.  To celebrate, I decided to give the iconic Fuji track a spin. Programmed by the wizards at GCC, Pole Position II was the pack-in title for the Atari 7800 ProSystem. Had the 7800 released in 1984 as planned, this game would have been an impressive step forward from the consoles of the previous generation. However, released in 1986 in a post-NES Super Mario Bros. world, it felt dated. The TIA sound is dull and droning. Also, the colors of the racers - particularly the player car - feels somewhat muted to me.  I do recall a graphics hack some years back that improved the look of the cars. 

Still, Pole Position II is a solid arcade racer that looks good and controls well. It's also possibly the most common 7800 game. If you're new to the 7800, be sure to pick one up on the cheap!

What do you think of Pole Position II?

On 1/27/2024 at 10:19 AM, Sabertooth said:

"It is the nineties and there is time for KLAX..."

I'm celebrating beta firmware v1.1 REV2 with gameplay of the prototype of KLAX for the Atari 7800. This was one of the games that had not worked for me until the update.

Programmed by David Dentt, KLAX was one of several completed titles that were shelved by Atari late in the life of console. A port of the Atari Games' arcade game, the 7800 version does a fair job of bringing the puzzler home. It's too bad that we didn't get the full release as this is far superior to the 2600 game. If only it had some sweet pokey music to compliment the gameplay...

Is there time for KLAX in 2024?  You bet!

I cannot play this game on one of my 7800's (without the expansion port), the one with the expansion port does and it is cool to see the 2600+ can also play it!  This version would have benefited from a POKEY chip.  The Lynx version is still my favorite.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Casual gameplay only of Mouse Trap. Originally published by Coleco, this game was later re-released by Atari circa 1987 along with several other Coleco games as part of the red label series.

As an arcade port of Exidy's classic, this leaves quite a bit out. Gone are the teleporter, colored gates and hawk. However, they kept the critical elements: mouse, dog, cats, dog bone, and cheese!

This was the pack-in (along with DK) with my Coleco Gemini which I received in Christmas 1983. It was one of the very first games I owned, so it has a special place in that childhood corner of my heart. As an adult, it's much too easy in the default mode. Fortunately, the difficulty switches can change cat behavior and the TV Type switch can make the maze invisible. These adjustments make it worth a look.

Played with a CX40+ with difficulty set to "Fast Cats" and "Smart Cats." Otherwise, we would have been here all day.

I wanted to follow-up Mouse Trap with my "other" first game: Donkey Kong. As mentioned above, this and Mouse Trap were the pack-in titles with my Coleco Gemini recieved Christmas 1983.

This port of Nintendo's smash arcade game is subject to bizarre conspiracies that echo in the halls of the internet to this day.  While some folks continue to insist that Coleco intentionally made a subpar port to make the 2600 look bad compared to the Colecovision, that's just hogwash. They wanted to sell as many copies as possible and the 2600 was the mass market system of the day.

The reality is that programmer Garry Kitchen did a fine job of porting the game to a 4K cart in short time.  Sure it's limited in terms of screens and some enemy logic, but it conveys the feeling of DK. It also has virtually no flicker, great control and nice animations. Is it the best version of DK? Not by a long shot. But it's a nostalgia trip in the same way Atari's Pac-Man is. History hasn't treated it kindly, but for some of us younger Gen Xers, this was our DK.

Casual gameplay only of Rampage (1989) for the Atari 7800.  Published by Activision, this port of Bally-Midway's arcade monster bash puts you in control of the fearsome George, Lizzie, or Ralph as you destroy city after city.  It's good mindless fun and the arcade game was a childhood favorite. 

My best friend had this on the SMS, and that is a far superior version.  Still, the 7800 version has it's own cartoonish charm.   

Thanks to the future Mrs. Sabertooth, who graciously assisted me in capturing this footage. 

Played with a pair of CX-78 gamepads.

27 minutes ago, 7800 Pro Gamer said:

Glad to see this and Double Dragon are working now!  

Other than the ladders issue on DD for some odd reason still being a problem. It even happens in the A7800 emulator that is considered to be the best current 7800 emulator out there. So it is just something that I guess was never reported until recently.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections