Atari Gamestation Pro Firmware 1.30 Update OUT NOW! | Full Tutorial & Changes

MaximumRD

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Great support!"

MaximumRD was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 10 points.

Noticed this recent post by GenXGrownUp and thought might be of interest. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Follow up video -

Atari Gamestation Pro SD Paddle Support and MORE! | New Firmware SD Slot

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Has any tried updating the firmware using a virtual box with windows 10 running on a Mac with any luck? I got to the point of connecting the Gamestation Pro to my Mac Mini but Windows doesn’t seem to see it. I am not sure if it’s a virtual box/windows 10 thing or I don’t have the right USB type-c cable that supports data transfer. When I use my memory card reader on my Mac Mini Virtual Box/Windows 10 see that.  Kind of stuck without knowing if I have the right cable and no Windows PC on hand. I thought I be cleaver using virtual box. 

9 hours ago, retroman21 said:

This is a nice little system that took me by surprise.  I thought it was going to turn out to be junk.  As well as its a nice alternative to a Raspberry Pi for people who are looking to emulate the old 8,16, and classic arcade games.

I bought one, and it should be arriving today!  My reasoning was for the little paddle on each controller.  Emulating paddle games! 

Mine arrived today!  I bought this on ebay for $45.  It is "open box", meaning someone probably returned it.  It seems to be in good shape and works just fine.  I'm not too pleased about them not shipping in a separate box though.  Oh well.

Atari gamestation pro 001.JPG

Atari gamestation pro 003.JPGAtari gamestation pro 004.JPG

It works just fine, and is firmware 1.2

First impressions:  The joystick is not terrible!  It is very light in the amount of force needed to move it, but I think I can get used to this. 

Next step is to update the firmware.

I just updated my firmware to 1.3.  It worked exactly as advertised and my Gamestation Pro is still working great.  Next step for me is to load up a micro-SD card and give those updates a try!

Instructions and firmware are available at this link:  https://www.myarcadegaming.com/pages/atari-gamestation-firmware-upgrade-to-v-1-3-only

I followed the PDF guide in that link.

PXL_20240120_001049677.jpg

Edited by RickR

Here is some great information about use of an SD card from Facebook user "Mark McCabe" in the "Atari Gamestation Pro" group.

Using an SD Card in the GameStation Pro

• From what I have read, the SD Micro card should be formatted to exFAT according to most users, some say FAT32 will work too I know for certain exFAT does work..
  • Top level folder should be named "Games" (the first letter must be a Capitol G or it won't work).
  • If you have Firmware version V1.30 (or higher) Gamestation will support subfolders, if you have the original V1.20 it will not.
  • in V1.30 and above. pressing the Home and Start button at the same time allows you switch to the SD card games menu, while pressing Home returns you to the internal games menu. If you have the original V1.20 you need to cycle power and go through the normal startup menu method.
  • Suggested replacements for the OEM joysticks are the XBox1 or XBox PRO controllers.

Supported ROM Files

• .a26 - Atari 2600 Should play pretty much all # **
  • .a52 - Atari 5200 May not play many of them #
  • .a78 - Atari 7800 Should play all
  • ,gb - Game Boy (Black and White)
  • .gba - Game Boy Advanced
  • .gbc - Game Boy Color
  • .bin - Sega Genesis just rename any .md files to .bin (they are the same)
  • .sms - Sega Master System only with firmware 1.30 or higher
  • .nes - NES (Nintendo Entertainment System)
  • .sfc - Super Nintendo only with firmware 1.30 or higher***
  • MAME - Circa 2000 Arcade ROMS seem to work best Leave them in zipped format on the SD card. Archive.org has a selection of them. One youtuber recommends
  • the 0.139 archive.
  • .pce - TurboGraphic16 PC engine games only with firmware 1.30 or higher***

• Notes: ** In V1.30 they added paddle support to the 2600 SD card games. Make a subfolder named "Atari 2600 Paddle" and put the 2600 games that require the paddle functionality into that folder and the paddles will work.
  • Notes: *** These games have issues with the controller due to button mapping. Hopefully in the next update they will allow users to remap their controllers to support these games better.
  • Notes: # Many of these games when downloaded are in name.bin format as that is what some emulators expect. You can rename these, Foe example you can rename an atari 2600 name.bin file to name.a26 and it will work in the GameStation Pro just fine.
Edited by RickR