Which "era" of 7800 games do you prefer?

7800 Pro Gamer

So after enjoying and "studying" the 7800 for some time I feel there are sort of 5 eras of 7800 releases spanning from its console release all the way to today.  Briefly they are:

1st era : original arcade ports by GCC.  This follows what Atari had done with the 2600 and 5200 mostly with Ms Pac man, joust and food fight.

2nd era : computer ports brought in by Michael Katz.  Stuff like Karateka, Impossible Mission, One on One basketball, etc.

3rd era : crazy late in life releases.  Ninja Golf, Scrapyard Dog, Basketbrawl and Midnight Mutants.  Crazy ideas like golf with ninjas, fighting basketball game and adding Al Lewis to our adventure game to see what stuck.

4th era : after the console died and was forgotten, suddenly stuff started to be released mostly with found prototypes.  Stuff like Sirius, Plutos, Klax, and extremely early homebrew like combat 1990.  

5th era : current day where impressive homebrew rules the roost.  Things like Rikki & Vikki, Popeye, Venture from video61 and EXO.  

In my head those are the eras of the 7800 that I made and obviously some lasted longer than others, but with that definition in mind which era did you (do you) prefer?

Honestly I had the 7800 as a kid and I mostly knew it for it's 1st era games.  I had very little 2nd era games and none from the 3rd era until the 2000s.  But as an adult I really enjoy all of them but obviously the 5th era or modern era has been a godsend for all of us fans.

So do you agree with my definitions and do you have a favorite?  Or maybe a least favorite?  Let me know!

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

I also had the 7800 when it was new back in the late 80s and for me it began with mostly the arcade ports. Although it was mostly those that I didn't already own for the 2600. So it was games like Pole Position II (That it came with lucky me!), Xenophobe, Crossbow, Rampage... stuff like that. You know, the at the time more modern arcade games.

But then I only really played on my 7800 for about 2 years before turning to the PC darkside. Once I got back into retro game collecting and playing again, it is now strongly all about the 5th era or modern homebrews for me on this system as that is largely what I play on it most now.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I like your defined eras. I had a C64 followed by a 128 during my high school days. Never had an Atari console, but logged many, many hours on my cousins Sears heavy sixer. I like games from all the eras. If I had to chose a favorite it would be the 1st era, although these days I only purchase homebrews. I have all of the OG games that I want for all of my consoles.

The 7800 is unique in its library of games. Where else can you play a round of golf while battling ninjas. Love that game. Of course I played tons of Impossible Mission on my C64, so I had to have it for the 7800. I have the original and the updated “Possible” Mission too. I think most of the 7800 library is worth playing/owning. It’s too bad the console was pushed aside and forced to debut as late as it did. But at least we have the talented homebrew authors today to show how capable a console it really is.

IMG_2513.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

I got my first 7800 probably about 1990.  I still can’t remember exactly when I got the darned thing but I know I already had a NES with over 50 games.  My story to my receiving a 7800 is here somewhere.

Anywho my first games were arcade ports with the exception of Ballblazer.  That included Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede, Galaga, Xevious, Joust, Asteroids, Food Fight.  What I got it the 7800 that Christmas included a bunch of games for it marked way down.  And I spent a lot of time on it.

Today I have a rather large 7800 library I honestly never intended to have.  Jinks is a top favorite coming in second behind Asteroids. I prefer Commando on the 7800 over the NES version as it is more colorful and more faithful to the arcade.  Tower Toppler I find fun, my favorite port of Donkey Kong is on the 7800, and I would classify Super Skateboarding a hidden gem.

All of my 7800 games except for Super Skateboarding are published by Atari.

18 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I prefer Commando on the 7800 over the NES version as it is more colorful and more faithful to the arcade.  Tower Toppler I find fun, my favorite port of Donkey Kong is on the 7800, and I would classify Super Skateboarding a hidden gem.

Can’t argue with any of these. 7800 Asteroids is excellent. My favorite console port. I really like DK and DK Jr. too. I know the sounds aren’t great, but IMO, the gameplay is.

I like the 3rd era the best because I read about those games alot in GamePro, it actually showed that even with the Big N's dominance the 7800 is still alive and had these interesting games.

I also like the recent homebrews as they do show off the full abilities of the 7800 with the POKEY sound chips.  They're an expensive investment though...

Sadly the only physical carts I've come in contact with were from the 1st era, still real good games but they gave people the impression that Atari only 'did' old arcade ports from the early 80's. 😞

20 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Today I have a rather large 7800 library I honestly never intended to have.  Jinks is a top favorite coming in second behind Asteroids. I prefer Commando on the 7800 over the NES version as it is more colorful and more faithful to the arcade.  Tower Toppler I find fun, my favorite port of Donkey Kong is on the 7800, and I would classify Super Skateboarding a hidden gem.

Wow Jinks?  Let me tell you I've tried to love that game but I can't.  I'm interested in your take on it. Am I missing something or is it an acquired taste?  Great opinions all around regardless!

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

12 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Wow Jinks?  Let me tell you I've tried to love that game but I can't.  I'm interested in your take on it. Am I missing something or is it an acquired taste?  Great opinions all around regardless!

I love it!  I had been told for years the game was poor by friends I trust.  So when I would get the opportunity to pick up 7800 games I didn’t have I would bypass it.  It was getting to the point games I did not have were in the weird and crazy section.  So I got Jinks figuring if I didn’t like it I at least now had it to sort of fill out my collection.

Yea.  The game arrived and I must have powered on and off the console about 10 to 15 times to hear the “Welcome”,”You can’t catch me, YEEOWWW!!”, and the opener music. I was impressed.  I never knew TIA was capable of such sounds and that proved right there that the 7800 was a very capable console.  It didn’t need a separate sound chip.

The game itself is not that bad.  I feel it is a nice break from the quickness arcade games generally require from players.  With Jinks you can sort of be laid back.  Some times it can be a challenge getting the ball to get in the exit spot at the end of the levels but I found it enjoyable at the same time to try to get every brick and items in the levels.  And they do get hard the more you repeat them.

Even if there are only four levels the amount they change keeps them fresh enough for me.  I have personally considered this one a hidden gem.  I wish I would have picked it up sooner.  I also love the box art.