Atari Celebrity Game Show

Sabertooth

For every great new game or acquisition that the Rosen Atari makes, there is still a G-Fuel deal or some other weird scheme. Enter the latest example: an Atari themed "celebrity" game show.

“Atari has remained a widely recognized and loved brand in pop culture for over 50 years, so it is no surprise that many celebrities have a strong connection to the brand,” said Wade Rosen, Chairman and CEO of Atari. “I look forward to seeing them share their personal stories and compete in a fun, game-show setting.”

I can't wait to see who they get to show up that will have a legitimate connection to the brand. Having Zoomers and even Millenials is a bit of a stretch. And what kinda games? A Centipede themed version of Plinko?

This one is a head scratcher.  And its not the first time Atari has dipped its toes in this space. They had an aborted game show in the Chesnais years.

Still Rosen seems like a very smart business dude. Does anyone think they will pull off more than a pilot?

Full release:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2024/02/08/2826067/0/en/Atari-Sets-Celebrity-Game-Show-in-Motion.html

Edited by Sabertooth

It is a good idea -- some form of video-game based entertainment show.  But it needs to be bigger than just Atari.  The retro industry as a whole should be included.  Nintendo for sure. 

I'm reminded of the really old Nickelodeon Arcade show.  It was exciting at the time to see some of the latest games and how other people play. 

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

This one is a head scratcher.  And its not the first time Atari has dipped its toes in this space. They had an aborted game show in the Chesnais years.

There was also the Frogger game show on Peacock a year or two ago. I was surprised to see this, and then we didn't really talk about it at all in the forums:

45 minutes ago, Marco1019 said:

I subscribe to Peacock and I can honestly say that I have NEVER SEEN THIS TRAILER anywhere on that app.

39 minutes ago, RickR said:

Same.  First time I've ever heard of this. 

I remember seeing it advertised like crazy on Pluto during Thanksgiving through Christmas a year or two ago. I remember thinking "How do they make Frogger a game show" and then I saw the commercial and realized it was like Wipeout or Takeshi's Castle / Most Extreme Elimination Challenge.

5 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

For every great new game or acquisition that the Rosen Atari makes, there is still a G-Fuel deal or some other weird scheme. Enter the latest example: an Atari themed "celebrity" game show.

“Atari has remained a widely recognized and loved brand in pop culture for over 50 years, so it is no surprise that many celebrities have a strong connection to the brand,” said Wade Rosen, Chairman and CEO of Atari. “I look forward to seeing them share their personal stories and compete in a fun, game-show setting.”

I can't wait to see who they get to show up that will have a legitimate connection to the brand. Having Zoomers and even Millenials is a bit of a stretch. And what kinda games? A Centipede themed version of Plinko?

Still Rosen seems like a very smart business dude. Does anyone think they will pull off more than a pilot?

Full release:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2024/02/08/2826067/0/en/Atari-Sets-Celebrity-Game-Show-in-Motion.html

Actually it could be a fun show watching people play real Atari games... 🙂

I remember a show like that on G4 called Playerz and one of the celebs hooked his Atari up to a flatscreen and had friends over for a game of Warlords.

5 hours ago, RickR said:

It is a good idea -- some form of video-game based entertainment show.  But it needs to be bigger than just Atari.  The retro industry as a whole should be included.  Nintendo for sure. 

It would be cool to see a reality show where people are in this late 80's/early 90's house and they have to play retro games as part of a competition, with the only help are game magazines since there would be no online access. (Think Game Center CX which was popular in Japan)

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Nick Arcade! I loved this show and got to see it in person:

I liked it too, it was like the 16-bit version of Starcade.

3 hours ago, Justin said:

There was also the Frogger game show on Peacock a year or two ago. I was surprised to see this, and then we didn't really talk about it at all in the forums:

I've been meaning to watch that show since my mom, of all people, recommended to me.  It's like Wipeout really.  Hadn't gotten around to it since I mostly watch 90's wrestling on Peacock.

Edited by MistaMaddog
Grammer Check