🧐Anyone else handle all "phone calls" with just a landline and no mobile phone service in 2024?

MaximumRD

🧐Anyone else handle all "phone calls" with just a landline and no mobile phone service in 2024?😁

I suspect NO since it sometimes seems 90% of the modern world population does but we still manage without amazingly. With some minor exceptions. Yes, we still use a landline because we get maybe 20 calls a year that aren't marketing or the wrong number 🤷‍♂️Landline plus Ignite Internet 1.5 Gigabit plan. All we need, we don't have, use or need mobile phones with a continuous contracted service because when we are out and about phone calls can wait, our devices (her iPhone and my iPad Mini 5 and Android phone) can access Free Shaw Wi-Fi with wide overage throughout the city. It's funny though because so many people, services and companies are STUNNED that we exist without mobile phones and cellular service, never have and we continue this in 2024 🧐anytime we are asked for our cell number and explain neither of us has them we always get a pause or a deer in the headlights look from them, yes one CAN exist with mobile phone service, it can be somewhat inconvenient at times sure, and some react like we are Luddites or something, hilarious since my wife handles I.T. support for the provinces health authority and I been into tech since I first saw a pixel on a screen. It's about "choice" and not buying something simply because everyone else does. Now my wife DOES have an iPhone SE and for the first time this year, when we go to Mexico for a week's vacation, she has contracted an E-Simm service data plan just for the duration of our trip, this will cost bout $ 12 USD 😝, the occasional out of country trip maybe once every year or two will be the only time she will use such a service, for my devices I have no interest in it and will remain with Wi-Fi and if there is none available I am happy to go without it until I get back 😆Honestly, I consider it a "self-imposed restriction" as more and more when we are out enjoying things I am striving to be less distracted and living more "in the moment". 

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

My family has had a land line and the same number for ages.  A few years back, I finally convinced my wife that we should switch to an IP phone service.  So sure enough, we ported our old phone number over and it works exactly the same way.  I even hooked up our old wireless phone set (with 3 handsets!).  I estimate the switch saved us about $300 a year. 

My wife liked it so much, she switched her small business over too.

As for the cell phones, I think it's cool to see people without them.  I like having mine mostly to order food ahead with the discounts offered on apps.  But otherwise, I totally get your point.  So distracting! 

Also, travel is getting harder without a cell phone.  Some airlines actually charge for printing out a printed boarding pass!  And we've also found the luxury of NOT renting cars and just using Lyft/Uber.  For traveling, a cell phone helps a lot. 

My last landline was 3006. When I moved into a new place I got a new cell phone and started using only that. I haven't had to think about having or using a land line because I don't send faxes and everythings been through my cell phone.

You don't need anybody else's problems
Albert's Voice Reiki on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@ReikiwithAlbert

1 hour ago, Albert said:

My last landline was 3006. When I moved into a new place I got a new cell phone and started using only that. I haven't had to think about having or using a land line because I don't send faxes and everythings been through my cell phone.

Guessing you meant 2006. Well, I don't send faxes either 😉but I think I expressed my motivations and reasoning well enough. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I kept my landline until 2022 and probably never had a personal call on it since 2015.  About the only time it ever rang was solicitors, politicians, or someone begging for money for the firemen, police or some other dubious outfit.  Now I'm strictly cell phone.  Heck, even the BBS I call (Heatwave) is via the Internet or the telnet APP on my cell phone.

As times changed over the decades, and magazines going the way of the Dodo bird, about the only solicitation calls that didn't increase in frequency were the magazines.  

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Related to this topic slightly....my mom, whose dementia continues to progress 😞  For a long time, we had a simple "ladybug" cell phone for her to use.  But she eventually lost the ability to use it...BUT we switched her back to a land line with the phone pictured below.  And she loves it.  She answers it and calls us successfully.  So thank goodness these are still available.  It costs more than a cell phone, but totally worth it for her situation.

old phone.jpg

I had a landline but even over VOIP I was still getting spammed with unwanted telemarketeer calls because I forgot to get an unlisted number, so I canceled it to also help reduce my cable bill.

My smartphone is only a necessity for work related purposes so I can use the scheduling app to find out what hours have changed and to call off work if an emergency comes up. Plus I also use it to keep in touch with my family members and for news & weather updates.  And yes it really helps if I have to call AAA for road service!

I do not do any social networking or play mobile games on it, so I only need a cheapo Android phone.  I much rather use my Windows 10 PC for everyday stuff or even my Samsung tablet for mobile usage.

5 hours ago, TrekMD said:

We have a time traveler on the forum!  Lend me your time machine!  There are things I want to buy in the 80's so I can sell them for outrageous prices now!  😁

Hey, I'm going to have my tombstone purposefully made with an error.  Other than my epitaph reading "Logged Off", I'm going to have my birth year start with an 18 instead of a 19.  If anyone even notices, they'll say, "Wow he lived a long life!"

<<< My YouTube Page >>>