Need Advice

Atari 5200 Guy

I'm thinking about parting with the spare consoles and games I have. I know I won't get as much in cash I would in store credit with places like eStarland but I still haven't started my job yet and I'm getting low on funds.  I plan to keep one of the older model PlayStation consoles and part with the other 2. As well I plan to part with all of the PSOne consoles.

I have two Super NES consoles and I only need one but I only have one power supply that works. My wife's Grape N64 is being traded in already as we never used it. I don't need two of them. I prefer my original model that has the Memory Expansion.

I'm thinking about parting with one of the 360 consoles and most of its games as I don't really play it anymore. I'm more of a PlayStation person myself. It takes away the experience for me when Microsoft left the 360 with a troubled operating system. The only issue is that it is an Elite model with a 20 GB hard drive instead of a 120 GB hard drive. That is how I obtained it. It works great.  The other issue is that most of my 360 controllers have been well used and are worn out.

I have a spare Dreamcast console that works with a controller but I only have one A/V cable. 

I also have duplicate 2600 and 7800 games I've thought about parting with but not many.  

The advice I need is how should I go about trying to sell this stuff? I've tried local marketplace posts on Facebook but I'm getting all kinds of offers with people wanting to pay with services I've never heard of except for BitCoin and I know those are not worth anything. I'm open to suggestions. I do have PayPal if I need it.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

Facebook marketplace works fine IMO.  Just specify in your ad that you accept cash payments only.  "Block" anyone who offers you anything you don't really want to deal with.  That way they won't bother you again. 

I also like Craigslist a lot. 

Ebay works too if you are willing to ship.  The fees are high, but you can sell things for a much higher price here.  So it ends up working in our favor IMO.

If you're a member of a local gaming group, that's another outlet. I have a member on the Greater Seattle Area Gamers group on Facebook, and people run sales there all the time. I know Portland area gamers also have a marketplace group. Maybe there's one in your area?

Having said that, I am taking my collection of PS1, 2, and 4 games to the local shop. I know I could get more if I sold them myself, but there's too many games, and I don't have the time nor energy.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Ebay works too if you are willing to ship.

I don't mind shipping but I'd probably go the USPS Priority route. We lost all of our local UPS pick up locations recently so I don't have that option and there are no FedEx locations here either.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

If you're a member of a local gaming group, that's another outlet. I have a member on the Greater Seattle Area Gamers group on Facebook, and people run sales there all the time. I know Portland area gamers also have a marketplace group. Maybe there's one in your area?

I'll have to look. I'm not aware of any in my area.

On 2/16/2024 at 1:25 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I've tried local marketplace posts on Facebook but I'm getting all kinds of offers with people wanting to pay with services I've never heard of except for BitCoin and I know those are not worth anything.

Fun fact: Had you accepted Bitcoin and held onto it, it would be worth 25% more today than when you made this post.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:25 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I also have duplicate 2600 and 7800 games I've thought about parting with but not many.

My advice to you: If you have a lot of irreplaceable Atari stuff, keep that as much as you can. You can sell duplicates of games if you wish. But, as an Atari collector, I would keep the rarer stuff in your Atari collection. That may soon become a REAL commodity.

Selling off my game collection rarely has gotten me anything.  Seems like you have to have a popular item at the right time.

..or be Jaguar related.  Had to sell my Skunkboard to make rent once. 😕

Please check out my Atari 2600 party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/  

Downloadable games include Upp Plus Plus, Stranglehand, Nitebear on Sleepystreet and more!