Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Did You Call The Atari 1-900 Phone Number?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:52 AM

Atari-900-Number.jpg

Did you call the Atari 1-900 phone number in 1984? I've heard very little about the Atari 1-900 number. I had always thought it was the Atari equivalent to the Nintendo Powerline that you would call for hints and tips. Now that I think about it though, that doesn't make much sense. Unlike the games NES players called the Nintendo Powerline for, most popular games available on Atari, particularly the 2600, didn't play like NES games. There weren't too many warps, hidden power ups, or "secrets to get to the next level".

So what exactly was the Atari 1-900 phone number? Well, possibly an enticement to order a "free" MTV jacket. There's a post about this over at The Retroist website. Check out the 1-900 commercial below:

• The Professor, RickR and kamakazi20012 like this

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:03 AM

Also, what's up with the Wonderbread theming going on in that commercial? It opens with a riff on the Wonderbread logo. Then a guy flying on a slice of bread? Talk of slices of bread? It's pretty strange...  :nintendo_mario_pill:

• The Professor and kamakazi20012 like this

#3 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 471 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

No, but I did get in HUGE trouble for calling the Freddy Kruger 900 # a bit too much. HAHAHAHA

• Justin, The Professor, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,927 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Looks to me like they put this together with MTV, who probably came up with the crazy bread theme. 

• Justin, The Professor, Atari Creep and 1 other like this

#5 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,285 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

Someone should call it now....probably disconnected though

Edited by jmjustin6, 11 December 2016 - 01:24 PM.

• The Professor and Atari Creep like this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,927 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

• Atari Creep, kamakazi20012 and Ballblaɀer like this

#7 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

I would have been beaten senseless if I cost my parents any money traceable. However, I know a kid in my school that had that jacket. Now I know how he got it.
  • kamakazi20012 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users