Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

McWill LCD Upgrade for Lynx

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,416 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

I just got my Lynx back after using an eBay modder.  I got the McWill LCD screen update, re-cap, and a new speaker (mine was blown).  It's a very impressive upgrade.  In many cases, it's like playing the games for the first time.  Games like Pinball Jam with lots of motion go from "meh" to "Wow!" status. 

Here's a few pictures of my collection.  There are numerous videos on youtube showing before/after that really tell a better story than any picture I could take.  I suggest checking those out.

So for anyone else interested, here are my pros/cons:

Pros:

• Amazing picture quality.  Very bright and easy on the eyes. 
  • I'm told battery life goes way up.  But I haven't tested this.  I just use an AC adapter on mine.  I will not risk battery leakage in my Lynx. 
  • For anyone doing YouTube Lynx reviews -- the McWill with VGA-out is a must. 

Cons:

• Spendy. 
  • Difficult to do.  I sent mine out to an ebay modder, which was nerve-wracking and took a long time.  But in the end, it worked out just fine.

Was it worth it?  For me, absolutely yes.  It turned a dim screen with obvious lines into something much much better.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lynx McWill 001.JPG
  • Lynx McWill 002.JPG

• dgrubb likes this

#2 Willie!

Willie!

Apple Member

• 590 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

I love the McWill mod I did to mine!  gives a whole new life to the system with that awesome screen!

• RickR likes this

My Youtube Channel Arcade USA! - https://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512

#3 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,452 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

I want to do this but because of the price i would only chiose 1 to do it to and i cant decide over the lynx or game gear

#4 TrekMD

TrekMD

Apple Member

• 654 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

I got one of these for my Lynx and I absolutely love it.  Yes, it is expensive but well worth it.  It breathes new life for the system. 

• RickR likes this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,416 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

I want to do this but because of the price i would only chiose 1 to do it to and i cant decide over the lynx or game gear

I'd say a good working Game Gear has a much nicer original screen than a Lynx.  But to be honest, I've been thinking about having a Game Gear done too. 

• jmjustin6 likes this

#6 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:35 PM

I got mine done too. It really makes a huge difference and improves the playability of the Lynx. Glad you like it!

#7 CrossBow

CrossBow

Orange Member

• 190 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Out of curiousity, and please do PM if you rather not reveal it publically, but I'd like to know how much it cost you for all of that. I know how much the McWill kit itself is and I know how involved it is having done both a Lynx II and my 1 asic game gear. (game gear was MUCH more difficult).

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.c...owercollections

#8 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,416 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

I will PM you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users