Kaboom Arcade Cab?

Atari Creep

Wow, yeah, they did a great job with that. That cabinet is perfect. I haven't seen this before but it says "Todd Rogers Challenge Edition" on the side which tells me this was part of a high score event or possibly something to do with Twin Galaxies. Todd Rogers is a champion player and has long been associated with the Twin Galaxies crew.

Also, it's sitting next to a "Man vs. Snake" edition of Rock-Ola's Nibbler. Tim McVey was long considered the Nibbler champion and there's a documentary called "Man vs. Snake" on Netflix right now that's a lot like King of Kong.

Wow, yeah, they did a great job with that. That cabinet is perfect. I haven't seen this before but it says "Todd Rogers Challenge Edition" on the side which tells me this was part of a high score event or possibly something to do with Twin Galaxies. Todd Rogers is a champion player and has long been associated with the Twin Galaxies crew.

Also, it's sitting next to a "Man vs. Snake" edition of Rock-Ola's Nibbler. Tim McVey was long considered the Nibbler champion and there's a documentary called "Man vs. Snake" on Netflix right now that's a lot like King of Kong.

Oh Cool! I will have to check that out.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Yep, that's a custom one-off cabinet someone made.  The Todd Rogers "Challenge Edition" was something Todd asked me years ago if I could make for him (but I couldn't).  He wanted a version of Kaboom! that only had one bucket (i.e. 1 life).  He also wanted a 1-life version of River Raid.

Edited by Scott Stilphen

it was at the 2016 Free Play Florida expo in Orlando, FL - look under the Kaboom picture on the side artwork of the cabinet

post-52-0-52494700-1480109492_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-96766600-1480109499_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-33561500-1480109515_thumb.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

This was a cabinet I did for Free Play Florida for Todd.  Todd's a great friend of mine and the show and he loves kaboom too, so I figured what the heck i'll make a cabinet out of it for him.  Amazing how many corners of the interwebs this cabinet has made it's way to!

You did an amazing job with this cabinet prOk! It absolutely looks like something Activision could have put out when Kaboom! was new. How did you make it?

Welcome to the forums prOk, it's great to have you here!

You did an amazing job with this cabinet prOk! It absolutely looks like something Activision could have put out when Kaboom! was new. How did you make it?

Welcome to the forums prOk, it's great to have you here!

Thanks for the welcome :)    It feels strange to be a newbie on a gaming site, but that's what I am here!

The cabinet was a scratch build based on the atari mini/cabaret plans from classicarcadecabinets.com that I modified a bit.  The artwork I scanned my Kaboom box and vectored it for print with some customization that thisoldgame.com printed for me. The rest of it was just hand fabrication of all the metal bits and such, and at the show at least it was running a PC and emulator as I simply didn't have enough time to adapt a 2600.  That *is* happening, just didn't make it for the show.  Once it's converted to a 2600 it will be playing Todd's one bucket kaboom in a cart.

Thanks for the welcome :)    It feels strange to be a newbie on a gaming site, but that's what I am here!

Welcome prok!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

This was a cabinet I did for Free Play Florida for Todd. Todd's a great friend of mine and the show and he loves kaboom too, so I figured what the heck i'll make a cabinet out of it for him. Amazing how many corners of the interwebs this cabinet has made it's way to!

Its amazing bud! My hats off to you.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I'd love to have one of these for my own arcade although it would have to be fully coin-op :P

It is great to see this finally happen...Kaboom coming full circle since it really was an adaptation of Atari's Avalanche that most gamers aren't familiar with. Kind of weird that Atari never "responded" to Kaboom! with an Avalanche port.

And that Yars Revenge cabinet above looks beautiful