New Addition

I said I would show when it arrived.  Very excited about this one!!

IMG_20181224_131008.thumb.jpg.65a22a7674fa1571ef1dc2f88691106d.jpg

She's a bit grungy but working.  Dual DD disk drives, too!  My Atari hardware collection is complete.  And, before I get asked, its a 1040 STfm in a 1040 STe shell.  I don't think it has the Blitter processor.  Will know when it is taken apart to clean.  Santa came a day early.

The difference between a 520 and 1040 is the amount of RAM.  520s have 512k while 1040s have 1MB of RAM.  I believe they can be upgraded depending on the revision of the motherboard.  Not entirely sure so don't quote me on that.  STs are still new to me but I plan to do a lot with it and for Atari IO members with STs.  I have future plans I'm keeping hush hush for now.

Thank you for the kind words.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Nothing like getting an Atari for Christmas.  My Atari hardware collection is complete as far as I'm concerned.  A Falcon was on my list but those things cost way too much for my tastes.  Now, Justin, do some ST score challenges sometime, Bro.

Edited by kamakazi20012

Ummm.  Guys?  The computer shell is correct.  I was doing a teardown for cleaning but I think I will just clean the shell as I don't want to take chance on destroying this one.  Why?

IMG_20181226_043559.thumb.jpg.293688c457b2911a2d474816ed80908b.jpg

I'm sorry the image is blurry but I am shaking with excitement.  This is a honest to goodness STe!  I'm still in shock.  All I have been able to do is sit and stare for the past half hour.  

What's the big deal between this and other STs?  The "e" stands for "enhanced" and for good reason.  The Atari Jaguar design is based off of the STe models.  Both have a Blitter processor.  It has left and right audio outs but I am not sure if they are stereo sound or mono.  Still learning some ST model hardware variants.  But one key feature, and I did not notice these when I was unpacking and setting up the computer, are ...

IMG_20181226_044942.thumb.jpg.0ed62cea8455263260d7c2ae880d1b97.jpg

...these two.  An STe characteristic.  These are Jaguar controller ports.  I'm not sure what all games these can be used for but, yea.  This is the Cadillac of ST models.  I'm putting it back together.  It can stay grungy as long as it works.  I'm not doing anything to upset this bad boy.  

I am not bragging...I had to share my discovery because I was expecting an STfm inside an STe shell.  STfm don't have the stuff mentioned.  What a nice surprise.  Best...Christmas...EVER!

6 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

Wow! Congrats!:spot:

Thanks, NSG!  

5 hours ago, RickR said:

How exciting!  Looks like you found a gem. 

Thanks, RickR!  Totally wasn't what I was expecting.  I didn't even see the Jag ports until I took the top off.  Even then it took me a while.  In my mind I knew they were controller ports but the location took me a while to notice.  When I removed the metal shielding my jaw dropped.

16 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Well, a bit of bad news.  This was sent to me by mistake and has to be returned.  I will post more when I know more as another is suppose to take its place.

Well, that sucks.  But it always pays to do the right thing.  Hopefully, your replacement computer works great.  Also, I hope the seller gives you a little something extra to make up for their mistake. 

4 hours ago, RickR said:

Well, that sucks.  But it always pays to do the right thing.  Hopefully, your replacement computer works great.  Also, I hope the seller gives you a little something extra to make up for their mistake. 

As long as I get a decent working ST I'll be happy.  I don't have to return the disk drive so hopefully the replacement computer has a built-in drive, too.  I do plan to use both drives as it will help in music creation.  I can keep the music software in drive A and use drive B to save my work.  Extras would be nice but not necessary.

5 hours ago, Justin said:

Who else here has an ST and would participate in a challenge? Looking for a show of hands please.

Me!!!!  There are lots of arcade greats that would make great challenges.  I have yet to see an ST challenge and it would be a great way to warm up to the ST.  There are some good ST emulators available as well.  I still find it odd that the ST has DOS and MAC emulators for it.  

Buggy Boy comes to mind for a fun challenge.  I'm sure there are others.  And the tutorial I made on creating disks from images could come in handy.  It would also be a good way to find software for NTSC STs as most ST support came from the UK which don't play well on NTSC TV sets.  I am currently looking into finding utilities to help remedy that.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:24 PM, Justin said:

Who else here has an ST and would participate in a challenge? Looking for a show of hands please.

You know what you could do, Justin, is do a poll.  I'm not sure how many Atari IO members see this post but they might see a post from you polling for ST challenges.  Just a thought.