Squad Challenge - Devil’s Crush (TG16) Dragon’s Fury (Genesis) Double Feature!

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Devil's Crush / Dragon's Fury Double Feature
TurboGrafx-16 & Sega Genesis
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST January 31st 2019

Devil's Crush
TurboGrafx-16
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Fast
NO SAVES, NO CONTINUES
Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔

Dragon's Fury
Sega Genesis
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: 1 Player
NO SAVES, NO CONTINUES
Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between January 15th through January 31st, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: On TurboGrafx-16 you will select the "FAST" game. On Sega Genesis you will select the "1 PLAYER" game. NO SAVES, NO PASSWORDS, NO CONTINUES ARE ALLOWED FOR THIS SQUAD CHALLENGE.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

Message: Welcome to our first DOUBLE FEATURE! This is going to be a fun one, guys. Devil’s Crush and Dragon’s Fury are the same game released for two of our favorite systems: TurboGrafx-16 and Sega Genesis. Yes, both games differ from each other slightly. Do you perform better in one game and not the other? You can play either or both games. Sega Genesis or TurboGrafx-16? Choose your weapon of choice! Devil's Crush is the sequel release to Alien Crush, and one of the best video pinball games ever released in my opinion. Playing across two systems will make this Squad Challenge more accessible to members who want to join in and adds an interesting twist. This is our 51st Squad Challenge, our first Sega Genesis Squad Challenge and our first ever DOUBLE FEATURE! Let's have fun with this one! We're kicking off 2019 with more games for more systems as we set out to make this an exciting year in High Score Squad! PDF Devil's Crush Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Devil's_Crush.pdf

Devil's Crush.pce

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Ooooh!  Double feature.  Like a drive-in movie.

You got it!! 😎

1 minute ago, RickR said:

i'm going to have to emulate on this one.  No TG-16 here, and I don't have that game for Genesis.  But looking forward to trying them out.

Good plan 👍 I figured most members would have to emulate this one. That may be the case for a lot of these games we have coming up for systems other than 2600 and NES. It's a good thing though, the idea is to mix things up and give us all a reason to try out a game (or game system!) that we may have never played before. We have at least 3-4 confirmed players who have the cartridge and can join in, so participation in this Squad Challenge should be decent and we will have a lot of fun with this!

Here is the rom file for Devi's Crush on TurboGrafx-16. I don't have the one for Genesis.

Devil's Crush.pce

4 minutes ago, RickR said:

I think this is great.  A TG-16 is on my "want" list.  So trying out the games is a good thing.  And I will never get tired of Genesis games. 

That's such a great thing to hear Rick! If I ever end up with an extra TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine core system I'll set it aside for you.

5 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I gave up on getting a TG-16.  Too difficult to find.  Might have to emulate this one as well.  I don't have the genesis game, either.

Go for the emulation Kaz! Would love for you to join in. If I come across clean, reasonably priced TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine systems in the future I'll send them your way. I bought a nice one from Lance a few years ago.

1 hour ago, kamakazi20012 said:

What PCE emulators are good?

I was going to start with "MESS"  (I used MESSUI64), which is my go-to for most PC emulation. 

If that doesn't work, my next try will be on the hacked Wii, then on Rasp Pi. 

I think I'll have time to try on Sunday. 

12 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Besides MESS.  Any other TG16 emulators I should try?

Here are two sources for TurboGrafx-16 emulators. Remember we're playing the U.S. version of the Rom posted above.

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PC_Engine_(TurboGrafx-16)_emulators

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/pcengine/

New personal best:

Thanks to @Atari Creep for coming out to the livestream on Instagram tonight and watching me play for a while. We've been doing that a lot lately and it's been fun!

Heads up about this score: You can do it too! You may have noticed playing this game you can hit things that award you "Special Points". When I was playing the game tonight, something interesting happened when my pinball hit the left side of the screen. I think it was on the 2nd board, the middle one. I hit something or did something on the left, and the game awarded me 100,000,000 specialty points. This was, for the most part, one of my better-than-average games, plus the bonus award. If that bonus award exists, others must exist too. Let's keep playing and see what we can come up with!

IMG_1799.JPG