Insert coin

Jayson_B24

To all who shall see these presents, greeting:

My name is Jayson and I found out about this site through Instagram. I had posted up some recent finds and the "atarigames" account liked them. My curiosity got the best of me (as it often does) and I started poking around their profile, thereby learning about this webpage (and their coveted weekly giveaways).

I am in my mid-thirties and have been gaming for a little over thirty of those years. My first console was an Atari VCS (2600A) and I had a handful of games. I grew up a little on the poorer side, so I my mom had to sell that bad boy off to buy me the newest system for Christmas: the Nintendo Entertainment System. Eventually, I sold that off in order to fund my Super Nintendo. At the time, my mom owned a video rental store, so she purchased it all from me (I was able later to buy it back, once the store went under).

Joining the military to get out of small-town New England, I packed away the NES & SNES and picked up the (then) relatively new Sony PlayStation (which had surprised me by becoming a success). Eventually, I unpacked both Nintendos and started to develop a strong urge to add to my budding collection. I started to become known as "that guy that'll probably buy your old crap so you can afford beer" and added a few more systems & games.

Getting married toward the end of my first enlistment, I packed much if my stuff away. My new stepson was highly interested in it all, but was not very nice to it, so (after my Sega CD mysteriously broke) it remained in storage until he turned 18.

Now, with my wife's insistence and her & my son's assistance, the collection is out, taking up about a third of my garage space & is an almost-daily refuge after work. They have both helped build the collection through friends, families, co-workers & (in the case of my son) eBay. My son regularly has friends over (they mostly play the newer stuff, but sometimes go "old school") and my 8 y/o daughter occasionally takes interest in all this old stuff as well.

I source most of my stuff from thrift shops, Craigslist & Instagram and I've found that patience is my greatest ally. I've missed a few good deals, but I usually wind up finding a better one shortly thereafter. As of now, my collection includes Atari VCS/2600, Roberts Rally IV (Pong clone), IntelliVision, Atari XEGS, NES, Game Boy, Game Gear, Atari 5200 (I need the RF adapter if anyone has one for sale/trade), Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, Game Boy Color, Saturn, PS1, PS One, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, XBox, GameCube, Wii & PS3. I am always looking for consoles, peripherals & games that I don't have!

Anyhow, I feel like I've prattled on long enough; if you're still reading, I commend you. I honestly stopped paying attention somewhere after the word "To"... My Instagram & Twitter names are the same as the one I use here: Jayson_B24, so feel free to check me out. I look forward to meeting and chatting with many of you!

-Jayson

Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted.

Franz Kafka

Welcome Jayson! So happy to see yet another awesome retrogamer with a great story to tell find their way to the site. It's interesting how people discover this place. I really enjoyed reading your history. I hope you enjoy the site and continue to visit, I think you'll find that this is an amazing group of people, and that there's something really special going on in our community that's hard to put your finger on. Reading your post it seems like you'll fit right in. Welcome!

Archived