Atari XP Physical Releases - Atari Releasing New Atari 2600 Game Cartridges!

Sabertooth

Another thought to having the collectors or limited editions offered through LRG is that is adds a bit more legitimacy to the project since. While LRG can take a LONG time to delivery on product, they always do deliver eventually. Actually SLG might be worse on the delay times for project releases but yeah.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

This is from an email LRG sent out today. Since each of these are capped at 1983, it looks like Atari was able to move around 1,000 for Yars' Return and Saboteur and less than 400 of Aquaventure. I'm assuming standard editions sold considerably more than that considering their much more reasonable $50 price point.

Screenshot_20220510-134610_Gmail~2.jpg

He (Wade Rosen) mentions Adventure.

Its a little scrambled, but it gives the impression that work may be underway on a new Adventure game.

I'm not sure which platform he's speaking about, but I assume that its the 2600 from the article.

Interesting stuff.

I saw that too. I'm guessing one is Adventure - which was pulled after a day following its announcement.

Also, they really need better coordination between social media and ops. Series 1 is still available and the deadline was extended to June 12. The website was updated.

Edited by Sabertooth

50th Anniversary Ltd. Carts. The prematurely announced Adventure and now Missile Command. Both at $99.

The packages themselves look nice but boxed copies - especially of Missile Command - are relatively easy to come by.

Not sure that this is the direction they should go with the XP line...

8 more XP carts to be announced this year.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/atari-xp-2600-missle-command-adventure/

Adventure_AllShot_Angled_1080x.png

MissileCommand_AllShot_Angled_1080x.png

Edited by Sabertooth

Here's the big issue with the most recent announcement: price.

Missile Command is dirt common. It's a great game but I'm willing to bet most of us have several copies. It's a hard proposition at $100.    

Adventure is a bit less common and prices have spiked thanks to Ready Player One and now Stranger Things. It's an easier sell given where the market is.    

Current pricecharting for reference.    

The packages do look very nice! Who doesn't love gatefold boxes, enamel pins, patches and a light up cart?

Screenshot_20220628-161648_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220628-161600_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

I applaud them for putting out something that looks to be of high quality.  Much improved over a lot of the strange licensed items we saw several years back.  The price is high, but I'm sure it's because they aren't cheap to produce at that quality and also demand probably isn't too high.  It's exciting and I hope they have success in selling them.

43 minutes ago, RickR said:

I applaud them for putting out something that looks to be of high quality.  Much improved over a lot of the strange licensed items we saw several years back.  The price is high, but I'm sure it's because they aren't cheap to produce at that quality and also demand probably isn't too high.  It's exciting and I hope they have success in selling them.

I definitely agree with you. I think that a lot of folks who have been into Atari for a long while actually undervalue the games. They were readily available and inexpensive to acquire for a long time. That does not mean they are cheap to produce in small, limited edition runs.

I'd add that what they are asking for in 2022 isn't too far off from retail in 1981. From the BLS inflation calculator (May 22 is the most recent date):

Screenshot_20220628-173550_Firefox.jpg

I've decided that I'm getting these.

Edited by Sabertooth

18 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I definitely agree with you. I think that a lot of folks who have been into Atari for a long while actually undervalue the games. They were readily available and inexpensive to acquire for a long time. That does not mean they are cheap to produce in small, limited edition runs.

I'd add that what they are asking for in 2022 isn't too far off from retail in 1981. From the BLS inflation calculator (May 22 is the most recent date):

I mention this each time I hear someone complain about the price of modern games. Honestly... inflation has never really caught up in regards to the price of our games. I know for a fact that I paid $34.99 for my cart of Ms. Pac-man for the 2600 back in around '83 from the local TG&Y. I know this because I had to buy it with my own saved up allowance money at the time. The irony was that my parents ended up playing it more than I did back then LOL!

I only opted for the standard releases because I just haven't the space. But I do agree that these look very cool! I'm really digging the Aquaventure limited look but again I have to let my scale balance out the want vs what I should really pay LOL!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 6/28/2022 at 8:37 PM, Sabertooth said:

Fascinating. :startrek_spock_beamout:

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

According to information shared in their official Discord server, Atari's long delayed XP Series 1 carts will miss their promised July 2022 ship date. The new date is August 14.

Apparently the carts and patches have been ready for some time but there have been delays with their printed mmaterias (boxes, manuals and posters).

We'll see if they can hold to the revised date.  This is third time the date has been revised.

The first three Atari XP carts: Aquaventure, Saboteur and Yars' Return are shipping today, Friday, July 26.  

From Atari:

All three cartridges in both standard and limited edition are scheduled to ship today, Friday the 26th of August 2022.

We regret the delay in shipments for these XP pre-orders. A number of supply chain issues extended our production timeline, and we did not want to compromise the quality of the product in order to ship the product faster. 

As a gesture of thanks for your patience, we are giving everyone who ordered a cartridge redeemable codes for all three Series One titles on the Atari VCS.

We are also extending a special offer for a heavily discounted Atari VCS Black Walnut All-in Bundle. Use the code VCSFORXP in all caps on Atari.com to purchase a bundle for $319.99. Quantities are limited. One bundle per customer. If the code expires before you get a chance to use it, please contact us and we will make sure you can make a discounted purchase.

We have been able to secure the parts and materials we need for releases that we have planned over the next six months, and look forward to bringing you more of these limited run, collectors versions of classic Atari titles.

Stay tuned for an announcement in the next few weeks!

Thank you,

Atari Support

image.png

image.png

Edited by Sabertooth