Berzerk homebrew for ColecoVision looks GREAT!!

Justin

Have you seen the new Berzerk homebrew for the ColecoVision from Electric Adventures? This looks and sounds AWESOME! Exactly what Berzerk should look and sound like on ColecoVision. The ColecoVision homebrew scene is worth envying if you're an Atari fan, there have been tons of really cool stuff coming out over the past few years, including the Super Game Module from OpCode and the CollectorVision Phoenix, and Electric Adventures is doing some wild things with the ColecoVision! I'm really looking forward to Berzerk being released. All the more reason for me to get my hands on a CollectorVision Phoenix.

It looks good and seems to play amazing. But I'm not a fan of how they are trying to implement the speech here. I can just make out 'Human' but the rest of it is just garbled beeps that I'm finding sort of grating to my ears.

Still it is very impressive!

I have a few CV home brews, but my experience with them hasn't been that great to be honest. As an example the latest CV 'brew game I picked up was Suite Macabre and apparently that game doesn't seem to want to work on most actual CV consoles?! I have 2 CVs one of which is all stock and my daily driver that is upgraded with RGB, Composite, and the new +5 ram. The game refuses to go past the 3rd screen and locks up the system. But on my stock console it works fine. But on a 3rd console I just installed RGB into only, it too locks up on the 3rd screen.

There are other CV owners who bought the game and have the exact same issue using all stock CVs. But Collectorvision has not responded to any emails about it or comments in forums threads.

So based on my experience with that game and my lovely adventures in dealing with the guys that created Risky Rick... I'm very leary of buying any new 'brews for the CV unless I know it has specifically been tested on several revisions of the console first.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

8 hours ago, CrossBow said:

I can just make out 'Human' but the rest of it is just garbled beeps that I'm finding sort of grating to my ears.

I agree, but it seems to be a youtube video issue to me.  I'll bet the real game sounds better.  Still, it boggles the mind that a video would be released with this issue.  I'm excited for this port, but it puts me in the "wait and see" group.

15 hours ago, Justin said:

All the more reason for me to get my hands on a CollectorVision Phoenix

I've got a Phoenix, and love it. 

One thing I'm not a fan of how some homebrews use the Super Game Module as a crutch.  2600 homebrews pull some spectacular results out of stock hardware.  You telling me CV isn't capable of the same? 

Edited by RickR