Jaguar Controllers for Atari 7800 games

Chubbz

I always thought that 7800 games could benefit from Jaguar controllers feature-set.

Games such as shoot-'em'ups, r.p.g.'s, and even platformers would make great use of the Jaguars keypad, and game-specific keypad overlays would be an excellent addition to physical 7800 releases.

Such a device is in development, and is discussed further in the attached thread over at Atari Age:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/329817-the-wolf/

A few years ago, I had a discussion with a few friends about taking old stock NES controller or similar pads, create a 7800 compatible board and plug, and resell them. There is a site selling these for $10. But that is already adding a lot to the final price after the mark up. You always have an option to have someone 3D print some also. A lot of this will depend on your potential market. I did searches and see there are many shells for the xBox, Playstation, and other systems. You may need to cover up the unused holes.

https://www.retromodding.com/products/nes-controller-shell?variant=41029607096476&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

image.png.f447bf758221e011895fd913e2ccab0f.png

I got THIS ONE from an Atariage member years ago who is no longer doing it but it'd my go to controller for the 7800! 

2022-02-11_17-17-52.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

They're cool, but they don't make dual-controller set-ups any less cumbersome.

I like the idea of having a keypad built into the controller I'm using, and the Jaguar controller would be perfect.

The Petscii 7800 robots will use a S.N.E.S adaptor, but the PCB schematic in the thread shows a db15 port too.

New games could add a pause button on the keypad so I don't have to get out of my chair anymore.

Jaguar controllers would be perfect for r.p.g's such as Lukia on the C64, or any Zelda-esque action rpg on the 7800 for that matter.

The keypad would improve the user experience and make the game easier to navigate, as everything they need to play it will have its own hotkey.

Note: Lukia is just being used as an example (it would be a great 7800 game though).

lykia_c64_02.gif

Edited by Chubbz

A game such as Sarah Jane Avory's, The Briley Witch Chronicles would be a fantastic 7800 game that could take full advantage of The Wolf Jaguar adaptor, with a game-specific keypad overlay to replace the need of a keyboard.

Items, maps, weapons, spells, and other features can be mapped to the keypad so the player has quick acsess to them.

R.P.G's in general would take full advantage of the Jaguars keypad.

20220228_231204.png

20220228_231125.png

20220228_231230.png

Edited by Chubbz

I've always wanted an adapter that would take USB joysticks and connect them to classic consoles.  Making niche console joystick to niche different console adapters seems like a way to guarantee low reach.  There are all sorts of USB joysticks including clones of classic console controllers and myriad options for preferred buttons, grip and features.

Strongly suspect that these bluetooth to classic console adapters will be the closest thing to my ideal soon.

Edited by slobu

Please check out my Atari 2600 party favors at https://theloon.itch.io/  

Downloadable games include Upp Plus Plus, Stranglehand, Nitebear on Sleepystreet and more!

Also, a lot of people say Jag controllers are difficult to get hold-of.

I've managed to find second-hand Jag controllers very easily on the internet.

There are also many sealed Jag controllers available too.

They offer more buttons, and the keypad, which would greatly enhance new 7800 games.

4 hours ago, Chubbz said:

Also, a lot of people say Jag controllers are difficult to get hold-of.

I've managed to find second-hand Jag controllers very easily on the internet.

There are also many sealed Jag controllers available too.

They offer more buttons, and the keypad, which would greatly enhance new 7800 games.

I've not stated they are harder to get a hold of, but I certainly do NOT see them in the wild either. I can go into any of the half dozen shops in my hometown that also deal in used games and systems and pick up a use in good shape SNES controller for about $10. However, getting a jaguar controller requires me to hit the 'bay for such a purchase if I need one quickly.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections