Recent Pickups -- (Non Gaming)

- Ω -

16 hours ago, RickR said:

I've been on a bit of a splurge trend lately.  New chair.  It is the "Hyken" from Staples. 

I have a couple of questions about your chair... if you don't mind.

1) Is it comfortable to sit in without fabric?  2) Is it cold when you first sit down, or hot after being in direct sunlight?  3) How much?

I'm tired of buying chairs that wear out every three or four years, but don't want to spend a kings ransom for a new one.

HisChair.png.d2f9528cca8bf70736b68717b7859f1e.png

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

10 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

I have a couple of questions about your chair... if you don't mind.

1) Is it comfortable to sit in without fabric?  2) Is it cold when you first sit down, or hot after being in direct sunlight?  3) How much?

I'm tired of buying chairs that wear out every three or four years, but don't want to spend a kings ransom for a new one.

I do not mind!

Here is what I can tell you.  At a prior job, over 10 years ago, I used a Hermann Miller Aeron chair, which is a benchmark standard of comfort.  BUT, they are super expensive.  So I was looking for something similar at a more budget price.  If you've ever had an Aeron before, you know they come in sizes (you can feel the size dots on the back lip of the back rest).  I'd call this one a "medium" size.  It fits me perfectly, but I'm 5'8".  If you are taller or shorter, ymmv. 

The other thing about this chair is that the reviews are pretty much great.  Of note is the outstanding 7 year warranty.  People report that if a part breaks, they called the 1-800 number and got replacement parts sent out no issue. 

Price:  It retails for $200, is usually on sale for $150.  I got in on a great deal for $100. 

So to your questions.  It is comfortable to me without fabric.  The netting is nicely stretchy.  It is not cold or hot when sitting down.  However, it does stay cooler if it is warm in the room.  Better circulation.  I do not know how long it will last, but remember that 7 year warranty.  That indicates to me that they think it will last that long without issue. 

Advice if you are picky -- go to Staples and try it out.  Take a magazine.  Sit for a while. 

Look at the reviews on youtube.  And if you've ever used an HM Aeron, I think you know what to expect comfort wise. 

I have a very similar chair to that one in my home office and I love it.  It is very comfortable and I agree with the comments made by @RickR.

On another note, I've got several new bits of smart tech for the house...

Five of these...

QO5R20D.jpg

These are smart lights that change color, sequence, etc.  They can be used for decoration or for just providing light.  They have a ton of modes.

qHeqj6n.jpg

A smart switch for my garage and attic lights.  Now I can just ask Google to turn them on or off, even when driving to the house.

hpFAXjm.jpg

And last, but not least, a smart fan for my bedroom.  I can modify speed and the LED light has several modes as well.  Now it turns on and off on command or with my morning and evening routines.

VfocEm1.jpg

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 4:41 PM, TrekMD said:

I have a very similar chair to that one in my home office and I love it.  It is very comfortable and I agree with the comments made by @RickR.

On another note, I've got several new bits of smart tech for the house...

Five of these...

QO5R20D.jpg

These are smart lights that change color, sequence, etc.  They can be used for decoration or for just providing light.  They have a ton of modes.

qHeqj6n.jpg

A smart switch for my garage and attic lights.  Now I can just ask Google to turn them on or off, even when driving to the house.

hpFAXjm.jpg

And last, but not least, a smart fan for my bedroom.  I can modify speed and the LED light has several modes as well.  Now it turns on and off on command or with my morning and evening routines.

VfocEm1.jpg

Could you please provide a link to the fan?  I might want to get one.  I like the look and functions.  Is it Alexa compatible?

EDIT -- Never mind, I did a reverse image search and found it.

Edited by - Ω -
Update

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 7/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, TrekMD said:

I’m interested in these. Tried looking them up, but can’t seem to find them. If you still have link, please provide it. -Thanks.

15 hours ago, TrekMD said:

How long did it take to print that base?  I don't have a 3D printer, so I am clueless when it comes to that. 

Well, I tend to print at a finer detail, so this one took 58 minutes.  On the newer version of my printer, (I have the older Prusa MK3S+) it would be faster.  Time isn't the thing for me, the aesthetics are.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Not sure if this counts, I think it does?  While driving home on Saturday night - was sprinkling/raining a bit - saw something on the side of the road - "Hey, that's a CRT television! I'm getting that." Flipped on the hazards, stopped, and placed it in the truck... much to wife's chagrin. Cleaned it up and dried it off - works perfectly fine. Simple pleasures in life!  Need to figure out how to get green paint off of plastic... 😅

20240728_195014890_iOS.jpg.719d7ae4bfd25b9366ce1ed08877cbbd.jpg

OK, here we have something ridiculous.  But I love it.  He was given to me by the artist.  He's a high school project from the 70's.  She titled him as "Smirking Dude with a Wallace Beery shirt" which cracks me  up even more.  He's made of clay with a crazy 1970's glaze.  For now, he'll sit on the top of a shelf upstairs.  But he may move to a more prominent location from time to time.  Note that my wife just shook her head at this, but knows full well how much this fits into my decor style.

PXL-20240801-212823340.jpg

PXL-20240801-213044893-MP-2.jpg

Nothing terribly exciting, but I got the really nice mini-pc and mounted it to the wall in my garage.  It takes up a lot less space than the old desktop I had underneath the workbench.  It has an Intel 8-series i5 (6 cores), 16 GB, and room enough for an M.2 drive and a physical hard drive to send backups to. 

QMStnWyr.jpg

This isn't a pickup per se, but I wasn't sure where else to post this.  It's part of my downsizing effort.  I thought you all might get a kick out of seeing this old classic.  It's an Apple PowerBook G4 12" from 2003.  I absolutely love the design of this...super nice keyboard, compact case, and rounded corners.  Since I haven't touched it in ages, it won't be painful at all to let it go.  Hopefully, there's a collector local to me that will buy it for cheap.

Apple-Power-Book-G4-002.jpg