Recent Pickups -- (Non Gaming)

- Ω -

I'm getting old, my nostalgia pangs are getting stronger by the day, and while I needed another scanner like a hole in my head, I pulled the trigger on a classic crystal controlled scanner.  I used to have one of these, and regret not having it anymore.  Well, I was on Ebay the other day a something jumped out of the screen and whacked me upside the head.  It's a CIB RCA 16S400 10 channel scanner in fantastic condition.

1.jpg.a5af489a9c571ee7c43c1fb91cdea41e.jpg

3.jpg.1e42354cc5990520fb54e7d098a744e2.jpg

It just shipped today, but oh man, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting to unwrap his present.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

11 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

I just received the Igloo Playmate KoolTunes cooler.  This is a bluetooth take on the 1989 original. It has a rechargeable battery, 10 hour charge and better speakers.

Not a "true" retro pick-up but a "cool" update to a classic design!

That's, well KOOL!  I went and checked it out, << HERE >> but $150.00 bucks made me kinda warm.  Was it on sale anywhere?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

1 minute ago, - Ω - said:

That's, well KOOL!  I went and checked it out, << HERE >> but $150.00 bucks made me kinda warm.  Was it on sale anywhere?

Yeah, the price tag is admittedly a bit steep. These are online only. It was a bit of an impulse splurge for me to be honest. I saw it in my IG feed and decided to get it.  But its only $63 in 1989 money! 😅

33 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

That's when RCA made really good products. 

What blows me away is it's sensitivity.  Around January I spent $650.00 on the top of the line Uniden SDS100 and on analog frequencies, the RCA is full quieting, but the Uniden always has a little hiss on reception just like my Bearcat 800XLT.  So yeah, they don't make them like they used to.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

My dad's side of the family invested heavily in the CED system.  Everyone had some variation of the SJT models.  Between all of them, including my grandmother and myself, we collected well over 200 CED movies.

When VHS took over all the players and movies went to my grandmother's house, under beds and in closets.  A decade after I wanted to watch the Mighty Mouse movie we had so I dragged one out.  I had to replace the belt (thank you Radio Shack) and clean the stylus but they still played like a champ.  The movie had to be played a few times to work out the glitches but it played fine afterwards.

I have to admit that the CED movies seemed like extended versions over their VHS counterparts.  Some never made it to VHS.  We had lots of Disney cartoons that seemed unique to the CED format.

18 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

My dad's side of the family invested heavily in the CED system.  Everyone had some variation of the SJT models.  Between all of them, including my grandmother and myself, we collected well over 200 CED movies.

When VHS took over all the players and movies went to my grandmother's house, under beds and in closets.  A decade after I wanted to watch the Mighty Mouse movie we had so I dragged one out.  I had to replace the belt (thank you Radio Shack) and clean the stylus but they still played like a champ.  The movie had to be played a few times to work out the glitches but it played fine afterwards.

I have to admit that the CED movies seemed like extended versions over their VHS counterparts.  Some never made it to VHS.  We had lots of Disney cartoons that seemed unique to the CED format.

Any plans on making MP4's out of the videos then putting them on a NAS or HD then selling the movies on Ebay for enough money to buy your dream vintage gaming system?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Yes, but does it release poison gas if you guess wrong?  (I read the Robert Langdon books years ago, but don't remember the exact details.  Maybe it destroyed the contents?)

If I remember correctly in the movie it had a vial of vinegar that would break and dissolve the parchment inside if the cryptex was forced.  There is no such counter measure to protect the contents in this one.  It would make a neat little hiding place for a USB stick though.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>