Recent Pickups -- (Non Gaming)

- Ω -

On 1/30/2024 at 7:44 PM, TrekMD said:

Hey, it works! 

I got this recognition and the plaque arrived today...

l0XEjEF.jpg

So you really are a doctor!  Congratulations on the award.  So can I start calling you "Bones" now?  So now I'll ask you one question, which food item is the best to stay away from when trying to lose weight?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I meant to post this when I picked it up: '23 VW ID.4 Pro S. I am coming from the total loss of my 2015 MINI Cooper S 4-door hardtop. I was a bit skeptical stepping into an SUV as I've been partial to small hatches most of my adult life. It's definitely the biggest car I've had and its taken some getting used to. But ultimately my recent accident and practicalities of a growing family are driving me to a bigger vehicle. A month in, it's been a great car so far. Here are some thoughts: 

- I'm impressed with the range (275 on a charge) and DC fast charge speeds (80 % in 30 minutes).

- Some of the software tech is undercooked, but integration with Android auto is seamless. The MyVW app for climate, defrost, and charging is less sophisticated than the app from my 2011 LEAF. It gets the job done though.

- There are some nifty automated parking and drive assist features that I'm pretty wowed by. It does a great job getting into spaces that I would probably pass on. We are taking a road trip to Joshua Tree this month and I'm curious to see some of the cruise features that I don't have a need for in my daily commute.

- The Pro S trim is really well appointed. It feels like a luxury car in this trim.

- That the huge VW logo on the front and back light up is a little corny, but I kinda like it.

- It's made in Tennessee where they used to make the Passat.

- I wish we had more color options in the States. Its grey, silver, white, black, blue and red. They didn't have red in the trim I wanted and the blue only comes with a white interior. Ultimately I picked a pearlescent white over the matte gray. The gray looked cool, but screams 2024. White never ages on cars. Of course, if we had the yellow they get in Europe, I would have got that in a heartbeat.

If you're in the market for an SUV, crossover or EV, I recommend putting it on your shopping list. I cross shopped against similar cars from Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Tesla, Audi (sister car) and Polestar, and the VW came out ahead for my situation.

20240121_153315.jpg

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I meant to post this when I picked it up: '23 VW ID.4 Pro S. I am coming from the total loss of my 2015 MINI Cooper S 4-door hardtop. I was a bit skeptical stepping into an SUV as I've been partial to small hatches most of my adult life. It's definitely the biggest car I've had and its taken some getting used to. But ultimately my recent accident and practicalities of a growing family are driving me to a bigger vehicle. A month in, it's been a great car so far. Here are some thoughts: 

- I'm impressed with the range (275 on a charge) and DC fast charge speeds (80 % in 30 minutes).

- Some of the software tech is undercooked, but integration with Android auto is seamless. The MyVW app for climate, defrost, and charging is less sophisticated than the app from my 2011 LEAF. It gets the job done though.

- There are some nifty automated parking and drive assist features that I'm pretty wowed by. It does a great job getting into spaces that I would probably pass on. We are taking a road trip to Joshua Tree this month and I'm curious to see some of the cruise features that I don't have a need for in my daily commute.

- The Pro S trim is really well appointed. It feels like a luxury car in this trim.

- That the huge VW logo on the front and back light up is a little corny, but I kinda like it.

- I wish we had more color options in the States. Its grey, silver, white, black, blue and red. They didn't have red in the trim I wanted and the blue only comes with a white interior. Ultimately I picked a pearlescent white over the matte gray. The gray looked cool, but screams 2024. White never ages on cars. Of course, if we had the yellow they get in Europe, I would have got that in a heartbeat.

If you're in the market for an SUV, crossover or EV, I recommend putting it on your shopping list. I cross shopped against similar cars from Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Tesla, Audi (sister car) and Polestar, and the VW came out ahead for my situation.

20240121_153315.jpg

I love it.  Great review. 

On 3/3/2024 at 8:51 AM, Sabertooth said:

20240121_153315.jpg

At least you didn't get a minivan, that would really show your age.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 3/3/2024 at 8:51 AM, Sabertooth said:

20240121_153315.jpg

I hope nobody minds me posting a quick follow up on my new ride.  2023 Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid.  I'm four months and about 3500 miles in.

• I'm getting 41 mpg, which is exactly in line with the sticker estimate.
  • I LOVE the safety features in the car, and it really does help me stay out of trouble.  Things like blind-spot-monitoring, lane assist, auto braking, etc.  They work shockingly well.
  • Adaptive cruise control is a MUST HAVE.  Once you have it, you wonder how you survived without.  And it will drive for you in stop/go traffic too. 
  • This car is a hoot to drive.  It is just as quick as an electric car off the line (albeit noisier). 
  • Perfect size for an older couple that loves to take trips.  We get in/out easily, and there is plenty of cargo room for stuff.
  • Go for the highest trim if you can (XSE).  It has the eco-leather seats, heated seats, and a really nice sunroof, the wireless connection to your phone, and some understated LED interior lighting.
  • Made in a new factory in Alabama.
  • Toyota makes several hybrid SUV's.  This one gets the best gas mileage and also is the lowest price.  But on the converse side -- it's also the smallest. 
  • AWD worked really well in the snowy winter we had here.  Absolutely no issues with standard all-season tires. 

DDR Pads 001.JPG

Edited by RickR