I want to beat every 7800 game that can be...

7800 Pro Gamer

11 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Ninja Golf is such a weird, yet fun game.  I love the dragons on it! 

The dragon "putting" is by far my favorite part.  Ninja Golf seems to be one of those games that you either get it or don't.   I'm glad I'm one of the people that "get it" lol

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

Ninja Golf wasn't a game I ever knew about back then until I got into collecting about a decade later. I think Ninja Golf being a late release, likely came out not long after I had stopped playing consoles and switched to PC gaming. But I also know that part of the reason I started to play my 7800 less and less around '89 was because most locations in my town weren't carrying games for the 7800 anymore.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Completed another one!  This time in Kung Fu Master by Absolute.   Check out the video below, it's a short one. 

So this go around we've finished Midnight Mutants, Tower Toppler, Double Dragon, Ninja Golf, Dragons Havoc and now Kung Fu Master. 

Up next...

Commando!

:pole_position_blimp: Watch 7800 Pro Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheAtariNetwork

38 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

Up next...

Commando!

Do note that on Commando on some of the levels in the game, there are spots where you can essentially just park yourself and keep mowing down enemy soldiers without much if any risk of death to yourself. I've done this several times to rack up scores in the millions. I guess it could be seen as an cheat or something, but it is just taking advantage of how the game was coded. I own the actual arcade cabinet for this game and I do find that the 7800 version is one of the more better arcade ports for the home to play!

But yeah... you can cheese this one to get a bunch of free men. I usually just shut it off after a bit because I get tired and just turn off the system.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

On 8/11/2023 at 9:56 AM, CrossBow said:

Do note that on Commando on some of the levels in the game, there are spots where you can essentially just park yourself and keep mowing down enemy soldiers without much if any risk of death to yourself. I've done this several times to rack up scores in the millions. I guess it could be seen as an cheat or something, but it is just taking advantage of how the game was coded. I own the actual arcade cabinet for this game and I do find that the 7800 version is one of the more better arcade ports for the home to play

I don't see that as cheating at all.  Maybe exploitative but it's not your fault how the game was coded.  

When it comes to arcade ports or ports in general on the 7800 I feel that the developers did a good job coding to the consoles strengths rather than trying to keep things 100% accurate.  But most are fairly accurate too...most.

Hopefully I'll have commando up in about two days time.  It's getting to the point that I have so many of these recorded I'm just waiting on having enough time to research what I want to talk about and record the voice over.  If there are any requests I may already have the footage and can prioritize it. 

Another bites the dust.  This time we serve two tours of duty in Commando!  While I've always personally preferred Ikari Warriors but this game is definitely an awesome inclusion in the 7800 library!

So it'll be a few days before I put out anything else but I think it's time I master karate and become...

A Karateka!

Edited by Silver Back

That village area is the main are where you can essentially just park yourself with machine gun and just keep taking out soldiers left and right with minimal risk to yourself.

Here is one of those locations. If you bring the screen down just a little bit further, this prevents solders from sneaking up from the bottom of the screen but they still come out the of the village door openings constantly. It is also rare for a soldier to sneak up from the left or right side of the screen here. They will come out from the left and right above those builders on the upper half of the screen, but then they have t walk down between the buildings to get you and you can easily take them out before they turn to shoot at you.

image.png.5902e4ef74f5e6223f1fa1cf1c8d8655.png

So yeah..if you scroll up a bit more so that the bottom left building in the above pic is off screen, but still have room to move between it and the others you have in the middle of this pic, then stay to the left side...

Well, you get the idea.

Also somewhere on AtariAge, someone mapped out all the hidden POW locations (Unique to the 7800 version I believe), for those bonus points. I can't recall if these locations can be opened again, when you get through both tours of duty though.

4 hours ago, TrekMD said:

And Commando is an excellent game!  My condolences with Karateka!  😆

You have no idea...

3 hours ago, CrossBow said:

That village area is the main are where you can essentially just park yourself with machine gun and just keep taking out soldiers left and right with minimal risk to yourself

I did bring that up somewhere in the middle of the video but I didn't specify any area in particular.  When I was looking for all the pow rooms I found a couple different places that I felt safe camping at myself. 

3 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Also somewhere on AtariAge, someone mapped out all the hidden POW locations (Unique to the 7800 version I believe), for those bonus points. I can't recall if these locations can be opened again, when you get through both tours of duty though.

I found the maps here at atari7800.org/commandomap.htm I'll add it to the pinned comment on the video. 

Edited by Silver Back

2 hours ago, Jinroh said:

Yes it's laughably backward, but looks nice. 😂

Yeah, it does look nice.  The main issues are that it is slow and the control scheme does not work well.  I'm sure there's a way to salvage it since other versions play well.  I  guess no one has tried because there are those other versions out there!  LOL

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

18 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Yeah, it does look nice.  The main issues are that it is slow and the control scheme does not work well.  I'm sure there's a way to salvage it since other versions play well.  I  guess no one has tried because there are those other versions out there!  LOL

I wish somebody would not only fix the gameplay but also fix the akuma sprite.  He looked so cool in the apple ii version and they could've beefed him up for the 7800.  Oh well...

I should have the new video, a complete playthrough of Karateka up tomorrow.  I want to polish up the voice overs a bit for you guys, talk clearer, etc.  I already have the following video started but after that I have a few games we could look into. 

I finished up playing Bentley bears crystal quest complete with all warps and the entrance to world six.  Seems that nobody has posted this info online that's easily accessible and I feel the games been out long enough that we can make it common knowledge.

Or

We can look into the Missing in Action prototype.  While incomplete it is technically beatable and has an ending.  But I took the easy route and played with invincibility on.  I figured it was fine since the game is in an incomplete state.  I plan on attempting to discover as much as I can about what happened to this unreleased gem behind the scenes.

Or

We can look at the two 7800 wrestling games, title match and mat mania.  I planned on combining the two into a single episode since all I have to do is beat the CPU.  Plan is to embarrass myself with some bad 80s wrestling impressions, way out of my comfort zone but you only live once.  Might as well have some fun. 

Let me know what you guys want to see and let me know if you like knowing what's coming ahead of time via these forums or rather be surprised.  I figured with all the knowledge on this forum you guys might drop some knowledge for the video that I might've missed. 

Once again I prove myself to be a liar as the next game I beat is not Rikki and Vikki but Hat Trick.  A nice short video but another one bites the dust and it made sense to do it now.  This game was also done by ibidinc just like Karateka and done by a familiar name.  

So the run down so far is

Midnight Mutants

Tower Toppler

Double Dragon

Ninja Golf

Dragons Havoc

Kung-Fu Master

Commando

Karateka

Hat Trick

All beaten on video.  For the upcoming video I wanted to point something out. There will be two Rikki and Vikki videos, this first one is single player and there will be the two player video as the game is much different in multiplayer.  That second video has yet to be recorded and will probably be pretty far in the future.  As always thanks for the support guys!

Edited by Silver Back

Got a new one done.  Since it's a prototype I played in Chuck Norris mode aka invincible.  Trust me I wouldn't do it if this had been a completed game but I figured an incomplete prototype was fine to do so.  So here's the full game (or as much as one can access) of Missing in Action based on the movie of the same name.  And yes it has an ending sequence. 

On 8/19/2023 at 7:48 AM, Silver Back said:

Karateka is done.  And I'll probably never touch it again honestly... Maybe the apple ii version one day when...

I wish the controls could be redone on Karateka. I don't think it's bad looking, but it's almost impossible to play.

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

I wish the controls could be redone on Karateka. I don't think it's bad looking, but it's almost impossible to play.

I've been thinking about this.  Controlling Karateka without a keyboard is going to be tough no matter what.  But here's what I'd do for the 7800 pro-line joystick:

Move left - left button
Move right - right button
Fight stance vs run stance - both buttons at same time
Joystick right (include diagonals) = kick high/med/low
Joystick left (include diagonals) = punch high/med/low

Bow (leave it out of the game completely)

The advantage of this control scheme is that you can move and attack at the same time, just like keyboard controls allow. 

22 minutes ago, RickR said:

I've been thinking about this.  Controlling Karateka without a keyboard is going to be tough no matter what.  But here's what I'd do for the 7800 pro-line joystick:

Move left - left button
Move right - right button
Fight stance vs run stance - both buttons at same time
Joystick right (include diagonals) = kick high/med/low
Joystick left (include diagonals) = punch high/med/low

Bow (leave it out of the game completely)

The advantage of this control scheme is that you can move and attack at the same time, just like keyboard controls allow. 

I like it. Now if somebody can implement it we'll be golden 🙂