This part of Atari.io is useless without a VCS forum.

@Mockduck , as a fellow VCS super fan, I hear you and can appreciate where the sentiment comes from. 

I also want to be clear that the rest of the forums are available to anyone to access and use. Likewise, ClubVCS is available to any forum member to join.

As Rick said, ClubVCS is a dedicated subforum, and intended to have an exclusive vibe/feel.  Over the past 16 months or so, we've been able to build out something (hopefully) cool and curated for VCS owners and VCS-curious folks to participate in. We've given away two controllers, made buttons,  hosted exclusive challenges, etc. and there is more in the works - including a digital fanzine.

While I don't want to speak for @Justin , here's my take on having a separate section for the VCS:

ClubVCS presented an opportunity to test out the Club module for the forums; which was new at the time. Using the club module has a number of benefits, including the ability to have its own navigable subsections like the Recharged Squad Challenge. We can curate it in a "club" in a way that we can't in the main forum. We can also assign specific mods to a "club." In many ways, its better than any of the main forum topics in terms of what we can do with it.

Additionally, ClubVCS provided an opportunity to gauge interest in the VCS among forums members. The "opt-in" nature of the Club means that forum members who aren't interested in the platform don't see VCS content in their feeds.

Lastly, and to be frank, the VCS and other initiatives from modern day Atari have been divisive among longtime Atari fans. Having the VCS content in the Club section helped to curb some of the negativity/trolling that we've seen on other sites. 

Should the VCS have its own section? From my perspective, that would take away from what we're building with ClubVCS and eliminate the additional functionality we get by hosting VCS content in "Clubs." However, I do think ClubVCS should be easier to find on the forum. Unless you know where to look, you're not going to see it.

My recommendation would be to list the Atari VCS under the Atari Video Games (Systems) section with a redirect to ClubVCS for viewing/posting VCS content. I'm not sure if that's something that's possible.  Maybe @Justin can chime in with his thoughts?

Anyway, thanks for the discussion and for being an active and supportive participant of the Club.

Edited by Sabertooth

Oh, I get it. 

I'm with @Sabertooth on this one, and that's what I was trying to say too....ClubVCS is like a deluxe section of these forums.  

I don't know of any hate here for the VCS, but maybe you've seen something I haven't.  Me personally, I love all things Atari.  And also, your YouTube reviews are awesome.

I think the issue is that the Atari VCS is not included/listed with the classic Atari consoles. This not only makes VCS content harder to find, but it can give VCS users the impression that the main forum isn't welcoming to them. Even AA - full of VCS critics - now lists it along with the classic consoles. 

Listing the Atari VCS under the Atari Video Games (Systems) section with a redirect to ClubVCS, would remedy that perception and make our VCS content more accessible.

Screenshot_20230603_154601_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

55 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Listing the Atari VCS under the Atari Video Games (Systems) section with a redirect to ClubVCS, would remedy that perception and make our VCS content more accessible.

Done deal. I hope all VCS enthusiasts feel welcome here 😀 Here you go:

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 7.42.47 PM.png

On 6/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, Sabertooth said:

Thanks @Justin! But what, no bold!? 😉

Haha the bold signifies forums with unread posts. If you look at a smaller forum where you've read everything, you'll see that it's not bold. I think it's doing that because it's a link to Club VCS and can't correlate unread posts in the club to the Forum category acting as a link. I didn't even catch that until you pointed it out.