Squad Challenge - Asteroids (Atari 7800)

Justin

I agree.  Thank you all who participated in my all-time favorite 7800 game.  I do hope everyone had fun. I had fun. I never made that high if a score in Asteroids ever so I accomplished something while learning more about this game.

There is something that seems special about the 7800 from a technical standpoint.  Stop and think about it a minute.  The 7800 can access external RAM and audio from the cartridge port.  Who said it had to be from a POKEY chip?  It could have easily had been any kind of sound processor (Konami *cough cough*).  A laserdisc player was said it could be connected to it to play games.  Now THAT would have been cool to see. It could put at most 24 colors on the screen at once (8 palettes x 3 colors per palette is 24). It is a flexible system meaning it is not just limited to what it was given internally.  Im pretty confident it could do a whole lot more.  Its just no one has taken the effort to try or has tried but kept it hush hush.

However, in the same breath, the 7800 is also a beast. Maria has to get her information upside down but she layers what you see on screen, it can access 48k before needing to bank switch, it has hidden potential.