Squad Challenge - Asteroids (Atari 7800)

Justin

About that toggle, I can't remember what it does. I will try to look up my exchange with RGB when I was ordering it.

Speaking of Twilight Zone... now pushing down on the joystick of my Edladdin controller activates hyperspace and the second button fires the gun like the other button 😕  Reading the manual, there's no mention of one of the buttons activating hyperspace. Not sure what's going on.

Found the text from RGB about that toggle @RickR and your theory is correct.

“I wired in a switch so when it’s depressed you can use Atari 2600 and the button will perform the down motion to perform hyper space when it’s released you can use Atari seven 800 and use it as a second button option”

FYI That controller was made back in June 2020. 

Edited by socrates63

Persistence pays off. I tried all week and couldn't get past 35k until just now.

I even tried playing with the Starplex controller. I am shocked to admit this, but I rather like playing Asteroids with a joystick. My Edladdin 7800 compatible controller is built with genuine arcade parts, and I can feel the comfort and responsiveness over cheaper controllers. The buttons on the Starplex are not too good. Regardless, playing Asteroids with a joystick is becoming second nature. I guess an ol' dog can learn new tricks.

IMG_0798.jpeg.039ab82fae35b1642374dac536758d2e.jpeg

Looks like we have a real nice competition going here!  The secret for me seems to be the ability to rapidly (and comfortably) push that fire button.  Like a buzz-saw of bullets.  I'm going to stick with the 5 button.  I feel really comfortable with that. 

The 7800 is perfect for this game.  All those flying sprites are no problem for the 7800 hardware.  Very impressive. 

I've always heard people mention Asteroids as being one of the best games on the 7800. After playing for a couple of weeks, I can see why. It is making me a fan of the 7800. I have to admit that my first couple of turns with the 7800 kinda turned me off. I can't remember right now what game it was but I was turned off by the colors and the sound. Asteroids has really turned me around.

9 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I can't remember right now what game it was

I'll bet $1 that it was Donkey Kong.  It's a fun game, but the sound is an ear-assault. 

Who remembers that first Atari Flashback that looks like a little like a 7800?  That one had a "copy" of 7800 that was really bad.  No momentum....your ship would stop dead when you stopped thrusting.  That Flashback was terrible. 

12 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm stuck at the 20k level.  The one thing I dislike about this game is when you die -- the game almost always puts your new ship in immediate jeopardy with no time to react.  

The game gives you several seconds of invulnerability when you start a new ship. Touching the joystick or button will cancel it. It is also time limited so you can't leave the ship in that state for too long, but I usually didn't find it to be a problem.

Edited by socrates63

3 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

The game gives you several seconds of invulnerability when you start a new ship. Touching the joystick or button will cancel it. It is also time limited so you can't leave the ship in that state for too long, but I usually didn't find it to be a problem.

I did not know this!  I will give it a try.  Thanks!

On 7/15/2023 at 8:48 AM, RickR said:

I'll bet $1 that it was Donkey Kong.  It's a fun game, but the sound is an ear-assault. 

Who remembers that first Atari Flashback that looks like a little like a 7800?  That one had a "copy" of 7800 that was really bad.  No momentum....your ship would stop dead when you stopped thrusting.  That Flashback was terrible. 

I had it.  Grabbed it the first time I spotted it in store.  It sucked.

I have been using a standard 2600 controller as well because my Europad controller took a dump on me.  I can move the ship but no fire buttons work.

13 minutes ago, RickR said:

It isn't true though.  Bad documentation.  It only works that way with a 2600 stick plugged in.  If a 7800 stick is used, hyperspace is button 2 and down does nothing.

GCC made this game, right?  I wonder if everything was documented before the controllers were finalized?  Maybe GCC used standard 2600 controllers during game testing.