New Source for Replacement CX-52 Mylars AtariRepairParts.com

CrossBow

THANK YOU for this info.  I was going to take stock of my 5200 sticks and re-order parts as necessary.  And that pricing is great IMO too. 

I've always done the "foil dots" method of fixing buttons given a working mylar.  Aluminum foil, a hole punch, and Elmer's glue.  But this would save a ton of time and is probably a better long term solution.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

THANK YOU for this info.  I was going to take stock of my 5200 sticks and re-order parts as necessary.  And that pricing is great IMO too. 

I've always done the "foil dots" method of fixing buttons given a working mylar.  Aluminum foil, a hole punch, and Elmer's glue.  But this would save a ton of time and is probably a better long term solution.

Exactly my though! for the time needed to do the cleaning and foil dot method, I think this is a better option because this only takes a few min to install and is likely to last for a very long time given everything is gold on gold contact, and the contact points themselves on these new mylars are much larger than Atari or the other Vendor's designs.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

Not a bad deal comparatively.  I have a rebuilt joystick, but I never use it because my hands can no longer deal with those side buttons.  I found the RetroGameBoyz all-in-one controller a great solution for this arthritic old fart.

I enjoyed your video 🙂 @RetroGameBoyz have done wonders.

7 hours ago, Justin said:

I enjoyed your video 🙂 @RetroGameBoyz have done wonders.

Thanks.  I've made a few others over the years.  I remove the one that do no hold up well over time or are replaced by "something better", but for the 5200 stuff if you want to view the others...

Consider an Atari 5200 for you Retro Gaming

Bosconian 5200 Conversion

of course I made a plug video for this site as well...

Maybe it's time to make a couple more?  Any suggestions for content?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

4 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Oh, below are the best joysticks ever made for the 5200 (IMHO), even if I still had them, I don't have the room for them now.

BestAtariJoysticks.jpg.8d0add533e4d1c925c9bff7fc3f171ec.jpg

... and yes, that is me a long, long, long time ago.

That's a very good point. Those controls were so good they were almost misrepresenting the product to the customer. They should've made an "arcade stick" using those controls housed in something similar to the 5200 Trak-Ball.

What were you doing with a 5200 kiosk so long ago?

4 hours ago, Justin said:

What were you doing with a 5200 kiosk so long ago?

I bought both the Coleco and Atari display units from Montgomery Ward's when they were getting rid of them.  I cut down the monitor for my TI-99/4A as shown here in 1985...

TI-Configuration1985.jpg.fb41874d5d0e479e068e811476e4332f.jpg

... later when my wife was pregnant with our second child I had to give up my den for the nursery, so I removed the 19" monitor from the cabinet and built a hutch for it in 1987 (shown below)...

TI-Configuration1987.png.72bd4c78d87cc64f64a9b4a115b376dc.png

The Coleco unit I gave to a neighbor, one of the joysticks went to a friend who hardwired it into his TRS-80 Model III for games, the other joystick I kept, naturally for TI-99/4A use.  You've probably seen it in a photograph of my TI system before, although it's residing in a solid oak enclosure...

Joystick-Front.JPG.0ee580fb75b1c60278995aeccbfaef6b.JPG

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

52 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

If I had only known then the crazy prices those things can sell for now, and had the room to store it for nearly 40 years...

Do you have a story to share about how you came into possession of the kiosks? Did you have to persuade an assistant manager at Montgomery Ward’s to slip these to you out the back? How did you make that happen?

45 minutes ago, Justin said:

Do you have a story to share about how you came into possession of the kiosks? Did you have to persuade an assistant manager at Montgomery Ward’s to slip these to you out the back? How did you make that happen?

I got these from the Longview, WA store which was then in the old Triangle Shopping Mall which has since been torn down.  I went there for some paint and brushes and overheard the manager asking the employees if anyone wanted to buy them as they needed the space for something else new coming in.  Nobody wanted them, so I offered him $100.00 for both as long as the demo cartridges came with it.  He said yes, "... as long as you can get them out of here before closing today."  I immediately went to the phone booth (no cell phones back then), called my father-in-law and told him what was up.  He was there with the pickup truck within the hour.  

I kept it in my father in-laws shop for a couple of months then started cutting it down, for the TI and mounted the Atari guts in the joystick section and used it that way with the TV at home for a couple of years before a friend begged me for it and I sold it to him for what I originally bought the kiosk for.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

28 minutes ago, RickR said:

Agree.  More details please! 

I remember the 5200 kiosks.  The joystick was great, EXCEPT, it wasn't quite right for the demo games they had like Super Breakout.  That game was designed for a floppy stick, and the self-centering masterpiece on the kiosk made the game seem hard to control. 

I will tell you this, that joystick was AWESOME for Pole Position and Missile Command.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

3 hours ago, Justin said:

That's incredible that they were getting rid of kiosks that early.

Makes sense from a marketing perspective.  Atari discontinued the 5200 in 1984 and Coleco the Colecovision in 1985.  Since hardly anyone wants to buy something that's been discontinued, the stores cannot waste valuable floor space on something that will not pay for the space it takes up.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

3 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I got these from the Longview, WA store which was then in the old Triangle Shopping Mall which has since been torn down.  I went there for some paint and brushes and overheard the manager asking the employees if anyone wanted to buy them as they needed the space for something else new coming in.  Nobody wanted them, so I offered him $100.00 for both as long as the demo cartridges came with it.  He said yes, "... as long as you can get them out of here before closing today."  I immediately went to the phone booth (no cell phones back then), called my father-in-law and told him what was up.  He was there with the pickup truck within the hour.  

That's an incredible story!

2 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Makes sense from a marketing perspective.  Atari discontinued the 5200 in 1984 and Coleco the Colecovision in 1985.  Since hardly anyone wants to buy something that's been discontinued, the stores cannot waste valuable floor space on something that will not pay for the space it takes up.

Yes, Atari dropped the 5200 to replace it with the 7800 in 1984, however they continued shipping 5200 games through at least 1986. Atari, Inc. (Warner Communications) had intended to continue support for the 5200 for a while longer while not producing new systems. The Tramiels were still selling off Atari 5200 inventory in 1995 though most of it had gone.

I would have thought stores would've hung onto demonstration kiosks a little longer than 1984 until inventory had sold through. Maybe at Montgomery Wards it already had and they had chosen not to take any more inventory for the 5200. Montgomery Wards "Electric Avenue" is where I bought some of my Lynx games when they were new.

Here is a Gremlins for Atari 5200 with a 1986 copyright date as they were still being manufactured and shipped even in the Tramiel 2600 / 7800 / XE era:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg