Squad Challenge - Venture Reloaded (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Venture Reloaded
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: DEFAULT
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 31, 2023
Nominated by @TrekMD 

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between August 1st through August 31st, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, officially released compilation, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, updated and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Standard Play, Default Difficulty. Note: If you are using Stella to play this game, you will want to enable Phosphor to eliminate flicker. This is found in the display tab of the game properties. You can also configure Stella to use a SaveKey to auto-save your highscore. In the controller settings, change the P1 controller to SaveKey.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other dishonest advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 148th Squad Challenge! This month we're playing Venture Reloaded, a hack of the Atari 2600 version of Venture by Omegamatrix on AtariAge! Special thanks to @TrekMD for nominating this game! ROM is attached below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Venture Reloaded (RC3).bin

Al was overwhelmed with orders with that Last Chance sale.  Hopefully, your order was done early enough to get it soon.  The binary is available, however, so you can play it via emulation until then.  😉

And here is my first score...

Venture Reloaded 2600.jpg

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

I'm playing on a real 2600jr with a PlusCart, and this game is available on PlusCart.

It's an awesome version of the game!  I've never tried it before.  But it has some really great updates to make it much closer to the arcade original.  I like the sounds and music a lot!

PXL_20230803_033826145.MP.jpg

Edited by RickR

13 minutes ago, RickR said:

It's an awesome version of the game!  I've never tried it before.  But it has some really great updates to make it much closer to the arcade original.  I like the sounds and music a lot!

That's why I recommended it!  It's as close to the arcade as you get on the 2600!  Much better than what Coleco released.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Great support in helping our community in High Score Squad!"

Atari 5200 Guy was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 10 points.

10 hours ago, greenween said:

From what I'm reading online it'll take a miracle for me to get this in the next month. I haven't had Stella in at least 10 years.. Gonna see if this old fella can figure it out. LOL

You probably already know this but I put all my 2600 ROMs in a subfolder in the location Stella.  Atari Mania has a single file with every known 2600 game in it.  I will go and get the link for you should you need it.

10 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

You probably already know this but I put all my 2600 ROMs in a subfolder in the location Stella.  Atari Mania has a single file with every known 2600 game in it.  I will go and get the link for you should you need it.

That would be awesome!!

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

I downloaded the manual for the original Venture and attached it here. I assume the scoring mechanism between the original release and the Reloaded version are the same -- namely that you get points for killing monsters in a chamber only if you grab the treasure first. You get points for killing the monsters only when you have obtained the treasure. Killing the monsters before getting the treasure nets you no points. At least that's my reading of the manual.

Venture-Atari2600.pdf

8 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I downloaded the manual for the original Venture and attached it here. I assume the scoring mechanism between the original release and the Reloaded version are the same -- namely that you get points for killing monsters in a chamber only if you grab the treasure first. You get points for killing the monsters only when you have obtained the treasure. Killing the monsters before getting the treasure nets you no points. At least that's my reading of the manual.

Aha, thanks for sharing this... thought I was going crazy... "did it not give me any points for those kills just now??" 😀