Video games & Computer Print Ads from back in the day

MaximumRD

4 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have to admit that I’ve not looked into this at all. Will it accept any DB9 joystick?

Thanks.

No.  It is USB only.  No DB9 ports.  Plus, the joystick included has special buttons to activate the virtual keyboard and reset, etc.  I like the joystick included, and also got a couple of generic USB SNES pads that also perform all those functions. 

Another option to consider is a real C64 with something like a KungFu cart to load images. 

Edited by RickR

The firmware update was simple.  As you said, I just placed the file on the USB stick and followed the instructions.  After that, the image files show up and load quickly.  The system allows flags in the filenames to automatically set up port 1 joystick control.  In fact, there are complete downloadable libraries that have this all set up already.  This is to solve the annoyance of how some games use port 1 and others use port 2.  That fix and the quick loading are a big improvements over a real C64.