Video games & Computer Print Ads from back in the day

MaximumRD

On 1/20/2024 at 10:33 AM, Scott Stilphen said:

I've never seen this one, either.  What's the source for it?  Some issues with it that make me think it's either not from Atari, or not shown in the U.S., or not real:

As was pointed out, the screenshot on the TV is of Pitfall, which would rule it out from coming directly from Atari.  Atari never hyphenated Atari Club, and the address shown (1265 Borregas Ave) was Atari's headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA.  The ad mentions filling out the form to join the club, but doesn't mentioned the city, state, or zip code.  The early Atari Age newsletters mention the Atari Game Club and the club and the newsletter were based in Half Moon Bay, CA.  The Atari Age magazine talks about the Atari Club (no hyphen) and was based in Philadelphia, PA.  Galaxian was released in March 1983 and was the newest game of all the others mentioned (Asteroids, Vanguard, Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede), so if this ad is real and was published somewhere, it likely would have been sometime in early 1983.

I'm catching up on this thread & noticed this ad. I just performed an image search and it is not real. It turns out this was submitted to a creative event on Reddit called PsBattles Live. Here's the Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/psbattleslive/comments/qc54ef/battle_round_3_atari_2600/

I apologized if I missed a previous post explaining that particular image. I'm still waking up lol.