Video games & Computer Print Ads from back in the day

MaximumRD

4 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

One thing I loved about classic video is all the great advertising, you know wacky and weird stuff by Sega to hard edge "Exteeeeeme" type of advertising you got from Turbo graphics and Neo Geo and even the family-friendly Nintendo stuff or all the advertising Atari 2600 that helped you visualize all the fantastic adventures, characters and scenario's that maybe didn't translate completely with the stick figured pixels in the games, but we still loved them all. They were a work of art in themselves and you just don't see as much of that in modern-day coverage of Video games with most being on STEAM or DLC on consoles. But they always fired up my imagination or made me laugh but either way they enticed me and made me think of the possibilities seeing those print ads in Video games Magazines like Electronic gaming or even ads in my favourite comic books. Let's use this thread to share the memories of video games and Computer tech that grabbed our attention from the 70's through to the 2000's. I'll kick off with a few examples. PLEASE NO PARODY OF FAKE ADS, keep it real with Ads that actually appeared in publications (Magazines /Comics / Newspapers etc) 

5842070eaa630b142c1e720aa1ae2ae7--neo-geo-old-ads.jpg

page-01-cover.jpg

86535940.jpg

378187716_10161648634983109_9207233405437840186_n.jpg

I agree with @Justin, odd Atari featured Pitfall! Then again if Atari did not make this ad, and it instead was made for them, Atari might not have caught that.  Lance did mention in a post here somewhere where all 2600 games got returned to Atari regardless of who the publisher actually was.  Maybe the firm that created that ad didn't know any better other than the fact Pitfall! was on the 2600.  Interesting but I didn't catch that until someone pointed it out.

The first ad that popped into my mind when I read this thread was the ad for Nuclear War by New World Computing. In the backdrop of the Cold War and the threat of nuclear war, the game's satire and caricatures of world leaders were a fun appeal (to me). But I can't find a print ad, and I swear I saw them back in the day.

As I perused the 1990 issues of Computer Gaming World magazine looking for the ad for Nuclear War, I came across an ad for the Ad Lib sound card. Sound cards were getting very popular, and despite enticing ads like this and reading about how great sound cards were, I had held off on spending the $80-$100 for one. I finally caved when I started playing Wing Commander. After the blips and static like sound effects coming out of the built-in speaker, I took a chance to hear what the fuss was about and ended up buying the Sound Blaster. While the SB was more expensive than the Ad Lib and the Ad Lib enjoyed broader support initially, I recall reading that the SB was the more capable card, so I went with it. The difference in the aural experience was night and day, and my face probably looked similar to the ad here when I first heard the explosions and other sound effects.

ScreenShot2023-09-12at3_46_26AM.png.1bb1813e3fa13867eb30c7948ccff98d.png

4 hours ago, socrates63 said:

The first ad that popped into my mind when I read this thread was the ad for Nuclear War by New World Computing

I remember this one too!  I think you might find it in Electronic Games magazine...the issues at the end of the run where they changed the name and focused more on computers.  I'll page through those later to see if I can find the ad.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

Did TI put overlay a photo of the 99/4A on top of an 🍎?? 😆

The model reminds me of Song Hye Kyo who recently starred in Glory.

Was the 99/4A marketing line "This computer is excellent"? That's what the Korean says.

Okay, I've been busted.  That is photo of a young Song Hye Kyo... my favorite Korean actress from various Korean dramas like Descendants of the Sun and Encounter.  It was not a real advertisement of the time as she is only 41 years old, so she would have been a baby when the TI came out.  And that was a good catch on the TI over the apple, I thought it was funny.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

10 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Okay, I've been busted.  That is photo of a young Song Hye Kyo... my favorite Korean actress from various Korean dramas like Descendants of the Sun and Encounter.  It was not a real advertisement of the time as she is only 41 years old, so she would have been a baby when the TI came out.  And that was a good catch on the TI over the apple, I thought it was funny.

Cool beans! About her age, that's what I was thinking so I thought it must have been someone else if the ad was from back in the day.

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Here are a few more retro ads that I have saved...

Those are all great and exactly what I was hoping for! I used to dream about getting all these things as impossible as it was back then! 😍

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

I forgot who altered this old ad a few years back, but they did a good job...

AD.png.56c46b2269446b78c151e896a855aead.png

You've contributed twice now with FAKE ADS, something I mentioned in the original post of this thread is not wanted, feel free to start a thread where you and others can post these. I let the first one slide but please no more. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison