Video games & Computer Print Ads from back in the day

MaximumRD

9 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Back in the day I almost bought an Amiga because of it's video capabilities and genlock device.  Thankfully I didn't go that route because video is no longer NTSC analog.

The ST is the more beautiful machine anyway. 😉

25 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Here are moar ads...  😁

astroc10.jpg.17d89790ce0b5f07f1ce39dfa6896664.jpg

atari_13.jpg.0c94abcbf1104bfb69ae460c0bf68ae0.jpg

game_s10.jpg.0e3e0fffdd83fab4d68fa59bb7d849d9.jpg

segaviz3.jpg.3db299ddaef3326ab37ab284431edea4.jpg

tengen10.jpg.d3d35f94b71586231710a27228298448.jpg

Neat I never saw a Compumate ad before. 

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

4 hours ago, TrekMD said:

This isn't an ad, per se, but still cool.  Not sure where I got this from...

KellogsLynxOffer.jpg.51c402fb6da4aaf4d01f5c4fb0e26489.jpg

Of course it's "Kellog's START" or some random cereal nobody's heard of. They couldn't have chosen Frosted Flakes or Fruit Loops or Cap'n Crunch for Atari to promote the Lynx. How many kids were eating "START" back in the day? They probably chose it because it had the same name as the ST Magazine.

Best part is that Start has glucose and no fat!  😆  I have to day that never heard of this cereal before!  I wonder how many people took advantage of the offer.

I was curious and found this:  Kellogg's Start cereal arrived on the scene in the 1980s but was discontinued in 2018. Promoted as improving people's performance in sports, the cereal was a favorite among many adults.

I think this was sold in Europe!

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

17 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I think this was sold in Europe!

That would make sense.

Lynx, Jaguar, and even 7800 would've benefited greatly from some good promotions. Giveaways to kids on Double Dare, etc. Imagine going up against Game Boy "oh but we have Lynx on START Cereal this month!"

On 9/25/2023 at 9:55 PM, TrekMD said:

Here are ads for my most favorite add-on for the Atari 2600...the Starpath SuperCharger!

Supercharger(0).jpg.ab776745727bd106e30db4e9ce1fc4a7.jpg

Supercharger(1).jpg.00c6c7546881d192d34a795de3e733d9.jpg

Supercharger(3).jpg.9d6a384f86e2dd86e7402b0966ceb38e.jpg

Supercharger(4).jpg.b31c5af48c9e99243e8343c6b1fbd341.jpg

Love the Super Charger. Communist Mutants from Space is my favorite Starpath game. Btw, I purchased an Arcadia Corp. Super Charger catalog and to my surprise, it has an offer for a Full Color Communist Mutants from Space poster. I was not aware that a poster existed. I love this artwork. Does anyone have or ever seen the actual poster? I'm willing to pay $7.00 for it. 😉

Front.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

SC_CM.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

Commie Mutants is a fun game but you have to be careful with which power ups you choose.   If you use them all the game gets boring fast because you can beat the aliens rather easily.  🙂

The SuperCharger is awesome!  It's too bad it died due to the crash.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

2 hours ago, Jinroh said:

The Play it Loud! Campaign was great. Loved those coloured shells, and the translucent one.

Clipboard01.jpg.37b5914ec102a112b925eeb24b71c79e.jpg

I thought this was the cool ad. Never used this controller though, but I remember seeing them.

Yeah "sensor touch" was big in the 80's, stereo and other electronics often referred to it as "feather touch" controls, fine for regular on/off button presses not so great for movement generally. That said I have at least one of the controllers shown I think for Genesis but also a similar type controller by SUNCOM for my Colecovision. They definitely take some practice but can be interesting to try depending on the type of game you are playing. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

14 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

Yeah "sensor touch" was big in the 80's, stereo and other electronics often referred to it as "feather touch" controls, fine for regular on/off button presses not so great for movement generally. That said I have at least one of the controllers shown I think for Genesis but also a similar type controller by SUNCOM for my Colecovision. They definitely take some practice but can be interesting to try depending on the type of game you are playing. 

I had a Turbo Touch 360 for the NES and had planned on getting the Genesis version.  It's not too bad to use if you kept your thumb on the center bump and slide on the pad instead of just pressing.  Even got Super Mario to jump backwards!

But sadly the sensor pad dies after a week and I had the company send my a replacement...only for that to die after a day.  I also had an alarm clock at the time that had a touch sensor for the snooze button.  You can see why clock makers went back to using buttons...

I recall back in the day thinking what an amazing idea to have a double-ended game cart, I never got any and were any of the games worthwhile? The dream of course was to have two great games in a single cart but were any of these even as good as having one good single game? 😛🤔

386336564_10161697159393109_6626049297779351676_n.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

21 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I found some more that I had...

You're killin' it, man! Thanks for all the awesome ads you've posted, they were exactly what I had in mind, had to skim thorugh them all just to make sure this one had not already been done! 

F7m7ONpWECQb76p.jpg

- M. Bison