Atari 2600+ My experiences and helpful information

CrossBow

Here's my update.

I don't have lots of time to test today, however I have tested 2600 Asteroids and it works as expected with the CX40+ and with the Starplex controller. I tested 7800 Asteroids and it works with my OG CX-24 and OG CX-78, however it does not work correctly with the Starplex controller.☹️ The Fire button on the Starplex triggers warp/hyperspace and the hyperspace button does nothing when pressed. As I stated, 2600 Asteroids works as expected with the Starplex, so I'm guessing that the 7800 Asteroids/Starplex controller behavior issue, may have to due with the 7800 emulation. Can anyone else test 7800 Asteroids with a Starplex, just to re-confirm my finding?

I also tested the folling:

- 10 in 1 Cart. Played Missile Command, Video Pinball and Yars'

- 4 in 1 Paddle games. Played Breakout. I like the paddles. I'm looking forward to testing them on one of my 2600s or 7800's.

- Berzerk Enhanced.

Pro - Robots ability to shoot diagnally.

Con - Speech. I know, it pains me to call the Speech a con, but the volume is pretty low and hard to make out. The rest of the SFX are fine and quite audible.

- Space Invaders with CX-40+ and Starplex and the game plays as expected.

By the way, each of these carts worked on the first try, each time I loaded them. So far I'm treating the 2600+ like a 2600 (e.g., turning off the unit, and replacing carts). I probably won't hot swap, unless I use my 7800 Dragon Fly multicart. 

That all for now. So far I'm liking the unit and looking forward to the firmware update.🙂

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Here's my update.

I don't have lots of time to test today, however I have tested 2600 Asteroids and it works as expected with the CX40+ and with the Starplex controller. I tested 7800 Asteroids and it works with my OG CX-24 and OG CX-78, however it does not work correctly with the Starplex controller.☹️ The Fire button on the Starplex triggers warp/hyperspace and the hyperspace button does nothing when pressed. As I stated, 2600 Asteroids works as expected with the Starplex, so I'm guessing that the 7800 Asteroids/Starplex controller behavior issue, may have to due with the 7800 emulation. Can anyone else test 7800 Asteroids with a Starplex, just to re-confirm my finding?

This is happening because the 7800 emulation has the buttons reversed on 7800 games. As the Starplex is wired as a 2600 controller, the 7800 emulation is treating it as a single fire button controller. Because single fire button controllers should register as button 1 or the Left fire button on the 7800 controller, but it is reversed on the 7800 emulation, that means it is only going to treat it as button 2 and not 1.

This has really thrown me off on quite a few games. Similar to how I complained about how ARTI testing was fine with an actual controllers, but the buttons get reversed in the game when using the Mega78...

Although I don't know that I've seen Ben from Pliaon mention it specifically, I'm hoping they correct the reversed button functions on 7800 games in the first major FW update.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Created a temporary spot in my Atari Room for the 2600+. I’m going to really start playing it tomorrow and Monday with both of my sons. I’m expecting to permanently swap places with my S-Video modded 2600 Jr, once the “update(s) have been provided. The Jr. is currently connected to our living room TV.

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2726.jpeg

18 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

And there is more...hehe. A new FW beta release was given out yesterday to testers and from initial reports... it has nearly all of the 7800 homebrew now working including games with FM sound through the use of a Dragonfly cartridge. 

I will be able to confirm this for myself perhaps a little later on today... 😉

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Well, all I can say right now from what I'm seeing first hand, is that at this rate... Atari is going to put me outta business on console upgrade services LOL!!!

Oh well, it couldn't last forever right?

17 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Well, all I can say right now from what I'm seeing first hand, is that at this rate... Atari is going to put me outta business on console upgrade services LOL!!!

Oh well, it couldn't last forever right?

I like the 2600+ but as long as my CRTs continue to work, it will not replace my OG consoles. I prefer OG with CRT over HDMI and emulation, but it’s nice to have options. 

22 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I like the 2600+ but as long as my CRTs continue to work, it will not replace my OG consoles. I prefer OG with CRT over HDMI and emulation, but it’s nice to have options. 

Are you part of the new beta testing? If not...then again you say this now but just wait.

5 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Are you part of the new beta testing? If not...then again you say this now but just wait.

Not yet, but I have a VCS800 and use it primarily for emulation (Stella, Altirra and A7800). I honestly wasn’t going to purchase the 2600+, but changed my mind once I heard the latest version of Stella was being used and that they intended on updating the 7800 side of things.

Edited by sramirez2008

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

The BETA firmware is up and available for download.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/358796-atari-2600-beta-update-11/?do=findComment&comment=5377055

It's vastly improved the 7800 compatibility although my Rampage and Double Dragon carts still do not load. Also, Circus Convoy!

Yeap..apparently the request demand was too great so they decided to go ahead and release it at this time. Although I think the one I've been testing today is slightly newer as EXO is also working with the build I have. We might be on the verge to getting Rampage working though. I have a new build to update my 2600+ with that will dump data from my copy of the game to hopefully provide some clues.

I was able to do part one the Dumper part, part 2 with the Emulator part 1, my computer does not find the Unknown Device under the Other Devices folder or anywhere else in the Device Manager. I tried several times making sure I had to correct set up with the unit switch being on Color and holding the Game Reset switch while turning it on and then hearing the noise that it worked. Anyone else having an issue with this?

7 minutes ago, Cryptocoffee13 said:

I was able to do part one the Dumper part, part 2 with the Emulator part 1, my computer does not find the Unknown Device under the Other Devices folder or anywhere else in the Device Manager. I tried several times making sure I had to correct set up with the unit switch being on Color and holding the Game Reset switch while turning it on and then hearing the noise that it worked. Anyone else having an issue with this?

Worked for me 1st try. however, the process I was given had the opposite order. I was told to update the console core with the update.img file first and then update the dumper. But for the dumper portion to work for me, I had to install a driver file first and then the dumper update worked without issue.

Now that all of that is in place, I can go back and forth without too much trouble. 

Also be sure to use the cable that came with the 2600+ when doing this. It isn't just providing power and works great for data as well. Also, I'm on windows 11 and using a USB 3.0 port. But I've seen others state they could only get it working using a USB 2.0 port on their computers. 

23 minutes ago, Cryptocoffee13 said:

I responded on Twitter, but will here as well for the good of the order. I had the same issue but found that it was recognizing the device as an Evercade handheld - which I also have. Apparently they use the same chipset, so Windows thinks the 2600+ is an Evercade. Once I realized that, I opened that device and followed the rest of the steps. Worked fine. Hope that is helpful!

6 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

I responded on Twitter, but will here as well for the good of the order. I had the same issue but found that it was recognizing the device as an Evercade handheld - which I also have. Apparently they use the same chipset, so Windows thinks the 2600+ is an Evercade. Once I realized that, I opened that device and followed the rest of the steps. Worked fine. Hope that is helpful!

See I don't own an Evercade so didn't know that was an issue but interesting to know. I just know that I've not had any issues with the actual update using the power cord it came with on my PC so I do wonder if some folks are using different USB cables etc.

36 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I won’t be able to apply/test until Tuesday. @CrossBow nice to hear that EXO is working with your beta. Hopefully it works with the community build too.

I believe it will but not everyone has a copy of the game to test since EXO just go released in the AA store and I guess no one that attended PRGE has been following this stuff or interested? Pretty sure John would have tried to test it as I'm sure he bought a copy of the game. The only downside with EXO is that the Savekey/AVOX doesn't work and from what I'm told those never will. The 2600+ only polls the ports in read only mode. It can't write back to them. So as a result... you can't save anything. EXO is a much more challenging game when you have to play it in one sitting LOL!

This also means that the Keypad controller apparently can never be made to work either. So no Star Raiders with this current hardware they have released. I was able to get Petscii Robots to start up, but I wouldn't exactly call it playable. No music only TIA audio worked, and all of the graphics were messed up. But the actual game was able to be played provided you knew exactly what the garbage on the screen was representing LOL. As I've played Petscii Robots quite a bit I was just about able to get through the first map even with it all screwed up looking. But the fact that EXO is working means that large size games can be made to work and the improvements made to the pro system emulator in these new builds is crazy impressive!