Amazing use of cheap low quality tech to do something creative!

MaximumRD

Amazing that a 9 dollar camera not only being usable but better than many early digital cameras.

Seriously, I would have been over the moon to have a digital camera like this back in the pioneering days 

of early digital video! I am always fascinated by those who do creative things with low end tech in these days of 4K and other modern options. 

Honestly, it's way better than I would have thought possible for such a cheap device. 

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

That is pretty neat actually. I could see this cheap camera being usable for even a streamer to be the camera that shows their face in the corner. Because that is the smallest element of their video stage they are showing, it doesn't have to be super high res and this seems like a good way to do that. But only if it is possible to capture the video from it in real time and not as a recorded video only?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I went and checked it out, it looks hit and miss for ones that work and ones that don't.  But hey, for 10 Bucks you get a SD card with a free camera!   Seriously though, if you don't need 4K, <<  The SONY HDR CX-405 >> is now less than 1/2 of what I paid back in 2015 to film the Fest West videos.  Now I usually use my Canon T7i if the record time is going to be under 30 minutes.  DSLR cameras have limited record time due to various factors, mainly due competition with the camcorder lines.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

For $10?!  Not bad at all!

Yeah, it makes you wonder how that is even possible!

59 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Some of the camera a bit more pricey that this one shown are not that good.

True, You Tube reviews can teach a person much.  It does have that retro feel to the videos though! 

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, - Ω - said:

... so how many of you ordered one? 😜

You know, for some low rez tinkering I'd likely consider it but I am making due with a couple options. I have my iPad Mini 5 or even an older Android 7 phone for daily camera uses, but also I loaded up the Android phone with several camera apps all aimed at replicating the old retro digital standard definitions and even analogue cameras and video recorders  that I am having a lot of fun experimenting with, some of the filter options provide some very convincing results. Of course that's not the same as the real deal fortunately I pulled THIS out of our electronics recycling a couple of weeks ago,

GKnfyg2a-YAAn-PAJ.jpg

a Canon Powershot A720 Is. From 2006 and while it certainly was maybe not the cheapest on it's debut MSRP: $250 USD this seemed reasonable at the time as it rated highly overall. Oddly enough, though, with the "720" in the name I assumed when I found it that meant at least a video capability of up to 720p HD video. 😆Not the case though is these specs indicate:

Screenshot-2024-04-29-224424.jpg

To be fair though for picture taking it can produce decent quality results up to 8MP - 3264 x 2448 (or as low as a nice retro quality 0.3MP 640 x 480 😎) but video is capped at a maximum 640 x 480 30 fps (see sample below) and of course if I want to really get that early low rez video feeling I could opt for even lower video settings of 320 x 240 30fps or even 160 x 120 15fps. for some of that stamp sized quality compressed video nostalgia of the early internet! 😂 Good times.

While certainly not low end for it's time it would be more comparable to that cheap $10 video camera featured today, I just love tinkering with older low rez devices. 

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

6 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

You know, for some low rez tinkering I'd likely consider it but I am making due with a couple options. I have my iPad Mini 5 or even an older Android 7 phone for daily camera uses, but also I loaded up the Android phone with several camera apps all aimed at replicating the old retro digital standard definitions and even analogue cameras and video recorders  that I am having a lot of fun experimenting with, some of the filter options provide some very convincing results. Of course that's not the same as the real deal fortunately I pulled THIS out of our electronics recycling a couple of weeks ago,

GKnfyg2a-YAAn-PAJ.jpg

I used to have that camera!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...