Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Holiday Shopping Memories: Kay-Bee Toys, Toys R Us, Shopping Malls & More

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 998 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

From what I've heard from my Mom, the Howard Griffin Land of Toys was truly AMAZING every year... Just spectacular, with visits from Santa and everything. A truly magical experience, all sadly long gone, and now up in smoke, as well.

• The Professor and brockolye like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#22 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

Here's a video of a store "Meier & Frank" in downtown Portland that used to have a Santa Land on the 10th floor each year.  In addition to a visit with Santa, they had this awesome hanging monorail.  Well, the store was bought out by Macy's, and the 10th floor is now part of a hotel...so no more Santa Land, sadly.  I'm happy to say my kids got the chance to ride the monorail each year until it closed. 

Meier & Frank had a giant old-school department store downtown that was built in 1908.  A picture of the building:

Meier-Frank-11-story-pc.jpg

Here's what it looks like today:

Meier_%26_Frank_Building_sunlit_2014.jpg

There's a local story that before he was a star, Clark Gable sold neckties in this store in the 20's. 

Edited by RickR, 12 December 2015 - 08:09 PM.

• The Professor and LeeJ07 like this

#23 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 428 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

besides toys r us, circus world and kay bee chicago also had one of the best toy store Dispensa Castle of Toys

• The Professor, RickR, LeeJ07 and 1 other like this

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#24 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

"It's Toymendous!".  Love it.  Good post Dan. 

• The Professor, Dan Iacovelli and LeeJ07 like this

#25 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 428 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

growing up in chicago area was the best, we had castle of toys (right next store was kiddie kingdom, an amusemnt park owned by the the people who ran the toy store) and in my old neighborhood of melrose park was kiddieland amusement park.we also had service merchandise as well, and Zayers  home of great balloon drop and midnight madness sales.

• The Professor, RickR and LeeJ07 like this

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#26 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 998 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

I look on shopping 20 years ago a lot more fondly than I do now. I don't know how or why, but the crass commercialization of two decades past seemed a lot less crassly commercial than it does now. Ironic, I know.

At only 24, I find myself already growing cynical of the commercial aspect. Where once there was a joy and wonder, I now look around and see Barbie houses that are a whopping 4 feet tall, and cost an obscene $119.00, and I just think to myself, "Good Lord, that is far TOO EXPENSIVE. What a waste of good money."

• RickR likes this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#27 Keatah

Keatah

Cherry Member

• 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

I loved going to the toy stores of the 70's and 80's. I felt toy stores of that era were custom-made for kids. They were OUR store. OUR domain. And I even remember making rudimentary maps for each major store.

Oft times going to those places was the "reward" for having had to tag along with mom at the cosmetic shop, the bedding store, the appliance warehouse, and god remembers where else!

Edited by Keatah, 01 November 2016 - 04:43 PM.

• The Professor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users