Squad Challenge - Chopper Command (Atari 2600)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Chopper Command
Atari 2600
Controller: PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1, Difficulty B (both switches)

Achieve high score to win challenge
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔

Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 31st, 2017

Objective: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 1st through October 31st, 2017. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the 1-month competition is the victor!

Eligibility: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules: Games may be played on real hardware or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level: Game 1, Set both Difficulty Switches to B to begin. Switches in this position will cause fast continuous fire from your chopper when you press the red fire button on the Joystick.

Fair Play: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

More: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/ 

Chopper Command.binChopper Command.pdf

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

36,300 points.  My first time playing this game since I obtained it.  Only tried it out for about a minute when I got it about a year ago and that was only to get it working by cleaning it.  Never touched it since until now.  The video is of a few game plays back-to-back, no commentary, with highest score achieved close to the end of the video.  It's a fun game and hard to put down.

I have found that it is easier after the first couple of rounds to just sit and let them come to you.  Unlike Defender, every enemy and truck moves from right to left in this game.  Try to take advantage of this game logic to see if it helps.  That is the only pattern I've discovered so far.  Enemies seem to slightly move up and dn randomly.  And they get very fast!!

What I've been doing is hitting reset if I can't make it to the end of level 2 without losing a chopper.  The speed really ramps up starting in level 3.  The Atari 2600 had it's limitations, but speed was not one of them...it can get things moving in games very quickly!

Nice!  That's the best part of these challenges is to spend some time with these games and get incrementally better at them.  I'm really enjoying it. 

Chopper Command is a good game.  No flicker.  Great graphics.  It puts Atari Defender to shame IMO.  It's not as complex a game, but the game is just so much more polished. 

I'm going to switch over to real hardware for my next attempt to see if I can do better.