Squad Challenge - Robotron: 2084 (Atari 7800)

Justin

What a brutal squad challenge, my 19" Philco TV kinda died 😢

While in attract mode it just turned itself off.

I can't seem to find what year this thing was made. there is still a local TV repair shop and I guess I could take it there. but I think it's $50.oo just to drop the thing off for them to look at ( was a few years ago anyways )

I kinda suspect it was Karma from LMAO @Atari Creep 's video above earlier that night.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations ,  have it fixt or toss it

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

Oh man, that's a tough call. 

Before you decide, let it cool down overnight.  Unplug it, turn it on, then off.  It is possible that once all the capacitors are discharged, it may fire back up.  Summer heat may have caused the shutdown.  That thing is pretty cool.  Definitely worth keeping, but that's just my opinion. 

On the other hand, you might spend a day or two looking at Facebook marketplace.  That's where I found two really nice sets over the last couple of months. 

Good luck.  Start another thread if you feel like it.  I'd like to see how this turns out. 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:20 PM, RickR said:

I'm using this old USB controller with an emulator.  I mapped joystick 1 to the left analog stick, and joystick 2 to the right one. 

This is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do.  It's a bit late at this point, but could help when I try to play it in the future.  What emulator are you using?

1 minute ago, Control Issues said:

This is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do.  It's a bit late at this point, but could help when I try to play it in the future.  What emulator are you using?

I use the "MESS" emulator.  The interface I use is called "MESSUI64".

On 7/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, chas10e said:

What a brutal squad challenge, my 19" Philco TV kinda died 😢

While in attract mode it just turned itself off.

I can't seem to find what year this thing was made. there is still a local TV repair shop and I guess I could take it there. but I think it's $50.oo just to drop the thing off for them to look at ( was a few years ago anyways )

I kinda suspect it was Karma from LMAO @Atari Creep 's video above earlier that night.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations ,  have it fixt or toss it

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

Well, I didn't find that TV but did find a Curtis Mathes equivalent.  https://www.curtis-mathes.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=102606710

The CM one was mid 80's and I suspect your Philco may be in the 70's.  The date will be on the inside of the rear cover if it hasn't fallen off or no one else has been inside it.  If it has the on the plastic somewhere should be a date stamp actually etched in the plastic.  This should give an idea of when it was made.  I suspect either bad caps, power transformer out unless you still get sound, or the flyback transformer has served its life.  If you could find someone that wouldn't charge to look I'd hold on to it.  Its a museum piece!

Oh...forgot something.  These older TVs have glass tube fuses so you might try checking that.

Edited by kamakazi20012

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations atarilbc!

Congratulations @atarilbc on a most excellent high score! Did you guys enjoy Robotron on the 7800? I'd like to offer @RetroGameBoyz a very special welcome to the forums! The new dual-pad Atari 2600/7800 controller is a great new addition to the platform! You guys posted some seriously impressive scores on a very challenging game. All of you give yourself a pat on the back, I hope you all had fun with this one! Congrats to everyone who played! I'd like to encourage atarilbc to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and maybe this Challenge can continue on! 

Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the TurboGrafx-16!

ROBOTRON: 2084 FINAL STANDINGS

1   ATARILBC                              408,475

2   CHAS10E                               278,350

3   RICKR                                     231,675

4   GREENWEEN                         160,025

5   KAMAKAZI20012                138,200

6   ATARI CREEP                        134,800

7   CONTROL ISSUES                  68,050

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Oh wow, I got 2'nd place \o/

I stopped by a TV place on way home, said $30.oo deposit to check it out & will be placed towards the repair cost if done.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:03 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

Well, I didn't find that TV but did find a Curtis Mathes equivalent.  https://www.curtis-mathes.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=102606710

The CM one was mid 80's and I suspect your Philco may be in the 70's.  The date will be on the inside of the rear cover if it hasn't fallen off or no one else has been inside it.  If it has the on the plastic somewhere should be a date stamp actually etched in the plastic.  This should give an idea of when it was made.  I suspect either bad caps, power transformer out unless you still get sound, or the flyback transformer has served its life.  If you could find someone that wouldn't charge to look I'd hold on to it.  Its a museum piece!

Oh...forgot something.  These older TVs have glass tube fuses so you might try checking that.

I lost both picture & sound at the same time so thinking power circuit

On 7/26/2019 at 12:02 AM, RickR said:

Oh man, that's a tough call. 

Before you decide, let it cool down overnight.  Unplug it, turn it on, then off.  It is possible that once all the capacitors are discharged, it may fire back up.  Summer heat may have caused the shutdown.  That thing is pretty cool.  Definitely worth keeping, but that's just my opinion.

I didn't unplug-replug but did let it cool down for a night. upon trying again a loud pop inside, sounded like a capacitor popped

I think it'd be worth having it professionally looked at