Squad Challenge - Robotron: 2084 (Atari 7800)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Robotron: 2084
Atari 7800 ProSystem
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / @RetroGameBoyz 3-D PRINTED CONTROLLER / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 31st, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 15th through July 31st, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Intermediate

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: https://forums.atari.io/topic/1219-high-score-squad-how-to-play/

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 66th Squad Challenge! This challenge celebrates new Atari I/O Member @RetroGameBoyz's latest creation, the 3-D Printed Robotron: 2084 Controller for Atari 7800 with one of the system's finest arcade titles! Robotron has always been a favorite of mine and I think now is as good a time as any to give it a play in High Score Squad! ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: We have HSW Day 2019 coming up on July 30th. :Howard_Scott_Warshaw: Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

2 minutes ago, Control Issues said:

Yep, I'll give it a shot in emulation.  I've been playing a little of the Robotron 2084 arcade game in MAME with a Playstation 2 controller, using the two thumbsticks for control.  Seems to be working okay, so hoping I can get it to work here, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

That's my plan...emulation.  I'll probably give it a shot later this week.  Great game. 

I'm going to try both emulation and OG hardware with my new Robotron controller by @RetroGameBoyz just for fun. Sure there will be a huge difference.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

Trying to find a way to play this the "right" way on an emulator...

As you all know, in the arcade, this is a twin stick... left stick controls movement, right controls firing.  It can be set up on the 7800 by having two joysticks, one in the player one port and one in the player two port, then using them just like the arcade (I'm guessing it works like in the arcade at least, haven't actually tried it on real hardware).  And of course there's the awesome custom controllers that combine the controls into one easy to handle controller with two d-pads.

I've been using a Playstation 2 controller, with a PS1/PS2 to USB adapter to play emulated games on my laptop.  In MAME, I can configure the arcade Robotron to use the two thumbsticks on the controller as the two joysticks and it works decently.  I'm still not that good at the game, but it feels pretty "right."  The emulator I'm using to play 7800 games is RetroArch, though, and there doesn't seem to be a way to configure it to have controls for both player 1 and 2 go to the same controller.  I've reached out on a discord channel that has helped out on RetroArch problems before, but the only response I've gotten is that they either don't know or don't think you can.  One suggestion was to set both players as going to keys on the keyboard, then using that, but I think that would be less satisfactory than the method I'm having to use.

Any thoughts?  Anyone here good with RetroArch that might know a work around?

On July 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM, Control Issues said:

Yeah... those brain guys... how do you get away from the homing missile things?  Or can you?  Do you just have to shoot them before the fire?

Try to shoot as many Brains as possible before they get off a shot.  If they do shoot, keep moving and fire back at their homing missiles to destroy the missiles themselves.  That's the only way that I've found to do it.  These are the hardest baddies in the game.  I'm glad they only show up every fifth wave. 

So I went to play live on IG tonight. Set it all up and played a pre stream practice run and half way through, the game proofed out. Tried everything, even took the cart apart and give the contacts a good cleaning. Still nothing. So after all that, getting the controller, getting a working 7800 I cant play the damed game legit after all. So here is my emulated high score. 

134800 I think wave 7

Screenshot_2019-07-21-21-38-19(1).thumb.png.71f14254d6e77e53819fb20cc0ac25fc.png

Edited by Atari Creep

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

8 hours ago, Atari Creep said:

Same score as I posted earlier, this is just the replay.

Great video @Atari Creep! I'm sorry that the original cartridge is glitching.  I totally agree with you that playing with one controller after the dual pad is just not as enjoyable.  It's a completely different experience. That said, you definitely made the best of it and that's a good score!