Squad Challenge - Astrosmash (Intellivision) Astroblast (Atari 2600) Double Feature!

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Astrosmash & Astroblast Double Feature!
Mattel Intellivision & Atari 2600
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30, 2020

Astrosmash
Mattel Intellivision
Controller: HAND CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Single-Shot Firing Mode

Astroblast
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / PADDLE / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Right AND Left Difficulty Switches set to "B"

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 15th through June 30th, 2020. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

INTELLIVISION
Single-Shot Firing Mode (#2 on Keypad). This mode gives player control over firing.

ATARI 2600
Right AND Left Difficulty Switches set to "B". Right Difficulty Switch set to "B" for Regular Skill Level. Left Difficulty Switch set to "B" for manual firing mode.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 81st Squad Challenge, and our second DOUBLE FEATURE! This is going to be a fun one, guys. Astrosmash and Astroblast are essentially the same game published by Mattel for two of our favorite systems: Intellivision and Atari 2600. Yes, both games differ from each other slightly, with Astroblast playing slightly faster. Scoring, however, is the same. Both games share the same scoring formula, so hitting a big rock on the first level gets you 10 points in Astrosmash, the same way it gets you 10 points in Astroblast. Do you perform better in one game and not the other? Is the 2600 joystick what you score best at, but you fumble with the Intellivision controllers? You can play either or both games. Intellivision or 2600? Choose your weapon of choice! Scores from both systems will be combined into ONE Final Standings scoreboard. Playing across two systems will make this Squad Challenge more accessible to members who want to join in, and making this challenge a Double Feature adds an interesting twist. Let's make this a fun one!

Astrosmash was originally conceived when an Intellivision game in development called Meteor!, an Asteroids clone, did not fill up the ROM space of an entire cartridge. The extra space was used to create a variation of the game called Avalanche! The Meteor! game was cancelled at the last minute, due to concerns that it was too similar to Asteroids. Programmer John Sohl programmed a "branch" around the opening-screen menu, leading directly to the Avalanche! variation, retitled Astrosmash. The games were compatible, since they were designed together, and used the same sprites and sound effects. In rare instances, if the console's reset button is pressed rapidly, an error can occur, resulting in the game starting in the original Meteor! format.

Games and Instruction Booklets for both versions are provided below. I hope you guys are ready for a new season of High Score Squad and good luck to everybody participating! 

NOTE: Another great Squad Challenge is coming up soon! Thanks for playing, and enjoy!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Astrosmash.pdf Astrosmash.int Astroblast.pdf Astroblast.bin

2 hours ago, Atari Creep said:

I am so lost on time my man. I saw this and was like there is no way its that time already. Guess what??? IT IS. LOL This is going to be a wicked fun challenge. 

I feel like the past few weeks just flew by. I barely got to participate in the Desert Falcon Squad Challenge myself. Good luck to everybody playing!

20 minutes ago, RickR said:

I've got a sealed copy.  Should I open it?

astroblast 002.JPG

A sealed game leads a boring life.  Let it out to play!!

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Of course I opened it!  21,630

astroblast 003.JPG

Oh thank goodness you let that poor cart out for some air!  Nice score, too.  What happens when you just hold down the fire button?

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Winning a High Score Squad Challenge!"

Atari Creep was awarded the badge '1st Time Squad Champ' and 5 points.

Astrosmash using OpenEmu and USB game pad.

Peak was 112985

Final 111845

Might jump over to the Atari port though. Thats the one I grew up playing for hours. We will see.

20200616_020852.jpg.db6809b4fbffeb39551ae6c18fd07095.jpg

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

I need to try the Intellivision version.  I remember it being a lot slower to ramp up the difficulty. 

Those two scores I posted were the first and second attempts.  My kids scoffed, tried the game themselves, had trouble cracking 1000, and then seemed slightly impressed with my ability.  I'll take that very small victory.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

I need to try the Intellivision version.  I remember it being a lot slower to ramp up the difficulty. 

Those two scores I posted were the first and second attempts.  My kids scoffed, tried the game themselves, had trouble cracking 1000, and then seemed slightly impressed with my ability.  I'll take that very small victory.

Are you drinking or eating something "special" to give you those playing abilities? 😄 

25 minutes ago, atarilbc said:

4415.  Took a stab at Astroblast on my modded Sears Video Arcade. 

Wow, this is objectively more difficult than Astrosmash on the Inty!  The starting speed feels like 4x on the Intellivision. 

IMG_20200617_200927014.jpg

How is it using the Ranger on OG hardware? I might try it tomorrow.

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!