Atari I/O Members' TI Systems

Justin

4 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Here's mine. Nothing fancy. Unmodded unit and three games. I have a pair of Amiga-branded controllers I use with it. Really small controllers but comfortable to use.  Sadly, I've not seen any games in the wild for it.  Which is OK because when it comes to older computers I'm more of an Atari boy.  Not that I don't like it I just have more experience with Atari computers.

IMG_20220106_225838.jpg.20b73a67047892641da63764f3e06e3c.jpg

Looks good!  I have those same tiny Amiga sticks.  They are a nice improvement over the stock TI sticks.

I like 'em.  All of that came with my system. 

I butchered the RF swichbox a long time ago and made an A/V cable for it.  Much better picture.  The RF kept ticking me off going from a good picture to a fuzzy or no picture.  And people complained about the 5200's switchbox.  I'd rather deal with that then what TI gave its computers.

It's not a bad computer...I just need to find games for it I enjoy playing.  At least I have BurgerTime.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy
Sometimes I hate my phone's way of changing my words.

6 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

Howdy there all, hope you're doing well - glad to be here 😄

It's not the most recent picture admittedly, but the setup hasn't changed much other than getting a nanoPEB and FinalGROM:
IMG_20151115_023138.jpg.96d8b02d3004cd69b2e1d8e23f5668e5.jpg

Pretty cool setup and welcome to the forums!  It amazes me how some of the upgrades for these older systems were the size of a modern desktop.  Really huge.  I don't think I've had much more than a disk drive or two and the 1010 program recorder for my Atari computers.  I've never seen a TI with a lot of upgrades in person before.  I've never seen a BASIC manual for the TI either.

8 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Lead the way. 

Ok then..!!

WHTech is one of your best friends for things TI.  You say you'd like a  BASIC manual - let's see what we can find here (don't forget there is a text sitelist that you can search).
Beginner's BASIC     http://ftp.whtech.com/programming/Basic/BeginBasic.pdf  (may be too rudimentary)

Reference Guide      http://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets and manuals/99-4A Computer/userrefguide.pdf   (thorough coverage of TI-99/4A and it's BASIC)

Extended BASIC       http://ftp.whtech.com/programming/Extended Basic/TI Extended Basic - Linked.pdf  (probably the most useful, given how much an improvement Extended is over "stock" BASIC)

Let me know if i can be of further assistance 🙂

Cheering vestry jolt now!  100%

11 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Was extended BASIC ever built in to any models or is that on cartridge only?

Extended BASIC was to be built into the TI-99/8, which sadly never made it past the prototype stage.

12 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I wouldn't want to get too involved in programming it until I get a way to save my work.

Can't blame you there.  No sense it typing a long program that is only lost when the computer is turned off.  There are modern options out there like the nanoPEB/CF7+ or TIPI, as well as the old venerable cassette saving, if you can get your hands on a cassette cable (i'm about to buy a new one of them just for fun and completion - and they can found floating about, including aftermarket builds).

Cheering vestry jolt now!  100%

Yep, cassettes are venerable and can be unreliable.  Had plenty of issues with Atari's 1010.  Never had hardware issues, just issues with loading my work back into the computer.  I eventually learned that not only did the type of tape matter but the brand as well.  I had really good luck with TDK and some Sony tapes, low noise, type I tapes.  Chrome was a no go, type II was hit and miss. I can't remember the name but I remember the black tapes with a white label and had orange ribbons on it.   I know it began with a C but that's all I remember.  Those worked pretty good until I couldn't find the any more.

Not too long ago I found a really cheap package of tapes at Dollar tree.  Nothing fancy, something I would not have used for music, but worked great in the 1010.  Can the TI use a standard tape deck or does it have to be a specific dedicated model?