Squad Challenge - NES Open Tournament Golf (NES)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

NES Open Tournament Golf
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Stroke Play > US Course
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 31, 2021

Objective

Play for the best (lowest) possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between March 15th through March 31st, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing STROKE PLAY, then select the US COURSE. This will begin a game with Mario playing a standard round of 18 holes of golf. All other options are Player's Choice, left open for you to play using any golf clubs, etc. you'd like. Is there a reliable strategy you can pin down for NES Open?

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 100th Squad Challenge!!! 🎉🥳:Nolan_Bushnell:  Can you believe we've made it this far? We're celebrating The Masters golf tournament coming up with one of the most fun 8-Bit golf games of all time, NES Open! Join Mario, Luigi and the gang for 18 holes of golf! We're playing STROKE PLAY on the US COURSE. All other options are open for you to choose. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We have a supreme lineup of games coming your way for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

April: National Pac-Man Day!

June: 2021 Pole Position II Grand Prix, plus get ready for our Summer Pizza Party!

July: A Sega Master System game, HSW Day Ultimate Yars' Challenge, plus a game chosen by our Instagram followers!

September: An Atari Lynx game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

NES Open Tournament Golf.nes NES Open Tournament Golf.pdf

I've played a ton of golf games over the years, but I've never tried this one.  It's fun!  Here's my quick review:

Good Stuff

• Easy to learn, but difficult to master.  I like the games that don't over complicate things.  Using a standard hit meter is always a good sign.  But it isn't easy to get that swing just right.  That's a good thing -- it makes it more realistic
  • Simple putting.  Again...why do so many golf games make it so hard?  This one is just right.
  • Quick games.  18 holes takes about 30 minutes for me.  I love that.  Casual gaming at it's best.  And not a lot of button pushes to get from hole to hole.
  • Nice courses.  Not too easy, not too tough. I love it.  Especially the greens surrounded by water.  

Bad Stuff

• Needs more music variety.
  • Needs more character variety

Overall RickR grade:  A

Hopefully, you guys will give this a try.  It's easy and fun.  Let me know if you need help with the game or emulation or whatever.

Edited by RickR

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Golfers!

Congratulations golfers on completing an 18-Hole outing! My score came in 11 under par to claim the top spot in our NES Open Golf tournament! @RickR had a masterful showing, taking 2nd Place with 10 over par. @AtariSphinx came through with a stellar score of 14 over par to take 3rd Place on our Final Standings. The legendary@nosweargamer wasn't far behind, scoring 16 over par to take 4th on our Final Standings.I hope everybody had fun playing in our first Golf tournament!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge celebrated National Pac-Man Day with Jr. Pac-Man on Atari 2600! Be there!

large.final_standings_nes_open_golf.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif