Recent Pickups -- (Non Gaming)

- Ω -

On 8/7/2024 at 1:30 PM, RickR said:

Nothing terribly exciting, but I got the really nice mini-pc and mounted it to the wall in my garage.  It takes up a lot less space than the old desktop I had underneath the workbench.  It has an Intel 8-series i5 (6 cores), 16 GB, and room enough for an M.2 drive and a physical hard drive to send backups to. 

An update - I liked the mini-pc so much I got another.  So the garage will now sport an AMD Ryzen 5 (6 core/12 thread) system and the core-i5 will go to my wife.  Her current desktop is nice, but it won't run Windows 11 without hacks.  I figure since she pays bills and does banking, it makes sense to have Win 11 there with all the latest security patches. 

Super simple to swap that other PC in the garage with my homemade wall bracket. 

Another silly one from me.  I've purchased three of these external USB DVD drives.  Since I've converted all desktops in the house to these mini PC's, I needed some way to watch movies or load data from DVD.  It also seems that none of my laptops have a DVD drive either!  Anyway, these things work fine and it's kind of nice to just put them away when not in use.  They are cheap and easy to find used.  Interestingly, they are actually bigger than the PC itself!

PXL_20240902_144244431.MP.jpg

Edited by RickR

15 minutes ago, RickR said:

Another silly one from me.  I've purchased three of these external USB DVD drives.  Since I've converted all desktops in the house to these mini PC's, I needed some way to watch movies or load data from DVD.  It also seems that none of my laptops have a DVD drive either!  Anyway, these things work fine and it's kind of nice to just put them away when not in use.  They are cheap and easy to find used.  Interestingly, they are actually bigger than the PC itself!

PXL_20240902_144244431.MP.jpg

Hmm. I could a couple of these myself. Your right, current crop of laptops seemed to have abandoned DVD drives. 
I apologize if I missed it, but can you provide a link to these? -Thanks.

5 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Hmm. I could a couple of these myself. Your right, current crop of laptops seemed to have abandoned DVD drives. 
I apologize if I missed it, but can you provide a link to these? -Thanks.

I got mine from a local source.  But they are plentiful on ebay.  Expect to pay between $10-$20 each, shipped.  Or look at your local thrift shops. 

An 11" MacBook Air.  I got it for free...missing the proprietary SSD drive.  I ordered a used SSD from ebay for $15, did the Internet Recovery, and the machine works great.  It is OLD...from 2014.  The OS is version 11 (Big Sur).  Still works fine for browsing and stuff like that.

PXL_20240911_232405936.MP.jpg

Edited by RickR

On 9/11/2024 at 7:27 PM, RickR said:

An 11" MacBook Air.  I got it for free...missing the proprietary SSD drive.  I ordered a used SSD from ebay for $15, did the Internet Recovery, and the machine works great.  It is OLD...from 2014.  The OS is version 11 (Big Sur).  Still works fine for browsing and stuff like that.

PXL_20240911_232405936.MP.jpg

That’s really incredible, Rick! Do you have recommendations as to where I can find such awesome deals on Macs like that?

4 hours ago, Justin said:

That’s really incredible, Rick! Do you have recommendations as to where I can find such awesome deals on Macs like that?

Absolutely!  But your mileage may vary...

In my case, it means being involved with the local retro community.  Go to the meetups and listen, learn, and share your knowledge.  Make friends and be a connector.  Give more than you take. 

Recently, I found myself with a PowerMac 5100 that needed some work.  So I got in touch with local experts and asked a bunch of questions and tried to learn as much as I could.  Once I realized how much those guys love these old machines, I decided just to give it away to one of them.  I was honest about it.  I didn't know the old macs that well, and frankly, I had trouble lifting it in/out of my car because of the super heavy CRT.  Anyway, once people get to know you, opportunities arise.  A "too heavy" bit of honesty results in someone offering a tiny old laptop with no SSD and a ton of stickers on it. 

So that is my advice.  Get to know people.  Be involved and nice.  Let your friends know you collect old stuff.  Sure enough, things come up.  But the biggest thing is to always be willing to give more than you get.  Your knowledge, old parts, whatever people need.  Always try to make it a win-win for everyone involved.

Another example...I have a neighbor who knows modern computers about as well as I do, and we've found a connection because we both are willing to clean up and assemble computers and give them away to others in the community.  I might need a keyboard to make a full setup, and maybe he needs a monitor.  And so there we go.  We swap parts, or set up an assembly line. 

I didn't mean to write a novel, but there you go.  I will say that none of this is easy for me.  I'm naturally shy.  But it is totally worth the effort.  Most people are cool and nice and it's a lot of fun to see the enthusiasm for old stuff. 

Edited by RickR