HELP!! - Looking for an "exciting" platform to explore.

- Ω -

The two systems I own, get little to no attention here, the Atari 5200 and the TI-99/4A.  Because of this, my interest has sort of dried up, but I like hanging out here.  So, I'd like to get some ideas of what system I could be exploring that gets a decent amount of attention and has new stuff being made for it.  Anyone?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I think I've recommended it before:  get a 2600 adapter for your 5200.  Heck, I think I may have an extra if you'd prefer to buy from someone you know.  Get a PlusCart to get access to every game ever over wifi.  And join in the game challenges.  The 2600 has new homebrew games of unbelievable quality all the time. 

Or go check out ClubVCS.  There is a ton of new people and games being discussed over there.  The Atari VCS has been really enjoyable to me, and the games are all very inexpensive. 

Final suggestion - you could run emulators of almost any system on your PC.  Try them out, and once you find a system that speaks to you, buy the real deal. 

4 hours ago, RickR said:

Honest to goodness, I was going to say this too. 

I realize TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine has grown expensive, but getting set up with a decent TurboGrafx-16 system is well worth it, and investing in a Turbo EverDrive is a wise idea. If you need help with that PM me and I will be as helpful as I can. @MaximumRD helped me get set up with everything I needed for the EverDrive a few years ago and I am happy to share that knowledge.

I've had a TurboDuo and TurboExpress for decades. I absolutely love them. The Analogue Duo may be worth considering as well, if you are looking to dive into the world of TurboGrafx-16:

https://www.analogue.co/duo 

For me the 7800 is really where it has been at lately. Course I might be biased... 😉

I do own a TurboDUO with a v2 TurboED cart. But... I still play on my 5200 more than I do my TurboDUO. It has some great games to be sure, but it just doesn't seem to have quite the same magic for me that Atari and Sega systems do.

One note on the 5200 and the VCS adapter. As @- Ω -'s 5200 has a UAV installed and I believe the RF was left intact, he would only be able to use the RF output for the VCS adapter. 

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I don't think any of the Atari consoles gets as much love in the way of homebrews and hacks as the 2600. Just going by what I see available on AtariAge, the 5200 receives the least amount of support. The 7800, especially recently, has been getting a steady stream of new releases. The Jaguar gets some love, but man, Jag homebrews are expensive.

My favorite Atari console is probably the 5200 for two reasons. One, I love the design. It's the pinnacle of 80s aesthetics and reminds me of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider. Two, the 5200 being essentially a console version of the Atari 400/800, I love the game graphics and sounds. The Atari 800 is forever my first love. Having said that, I haven't spent much time with it. Hopefully, that will change this summer. I am expecting to have my new gaming setup finished later this month.

About the TG-16, I acquired one 2 or 3 years ago specifically to take part in the I/O high score challenge. I ended up getting a PC Engine Core Grafx from a local gamer/reseller. It's much cheaper than the TG16, and I think it even looks better. It's certainly more compact so takes up less physical real estate. I also got the Everdrive for it as I have no desire to collect games for the system because of the high game prices.

Edited by socrates63