PRGE 2023!

TrekMD

21 hours ago, TrekMD said:

October 13 is so close!  I'm so looking forward to this.  It'll be a nice break.  Already made plans for dinner with the folks from Old School Gamer magazine for Friday.  Looking forward to the get together at the arcade also on Saturday.  🙂

I can't wait either. The clock is ticking...

image.png.c3538bc924285554b7876bc2ecba68a2.png

What's everyone shopping list looking like? I'm going to end up spending the majority of my wallet at the AtariAge booth. I'm also planning to stop by Song Bird and Champ Games and maybe Intellivision Revolution. Outside of that, I don't know much of anything, so I will just browse until something catches my eye. Couple of years ago, I found some Star Blazers stuff as I wandered about.

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Good luck, E!  I hope you make it on time.  Safe travels to all coming to Portland!!!er

Thank you!  I'll have to Uber to the hotel to make it on time.  I can't take an hour between the bus and the train to get there tonight. I'll be missing a meeting with Atari!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Awesome!  If you turn around and look across Grand, the big brick high-rise that is slightly tapered at the top...I used to work in that building for many years.  And if you look the other direction into downtown, the very tall "pink" high rise is where I worked after that. 

Nowadays, I work from home, which you cannot see from there 🙂 

I hope y'all have a great time at the show.  My wife says we're going to a work convention in Long Beach next year around this same time, so I really hope it's a different weekend than PRGE next year!  I miss going.

It was another memorable PRGE. Every time I attend, I am reminded that while the games and consoles bring us together, it's the people that takes the hobby to another level. Or, is it just me? No one in my physical social circle share my hobbies--not even my kids--so when it comes to video games, I interact mostly with people online. Getting the opportunity to meet face to face is always a treat, and meeting new people even better.

I left the house at 4am to drive down to Portland to meet up with my brutha from anotha mutha @RickR. I bought his Amiga a few months back and finally got a chance to meet up. I got to see firsthand his garage man cave, and it's very cool--well organized and clean. He told me it was a mess, so I told him that I'll never show him my setup lest he judge me 😂 Hope you had a good flight and are now sipping wine and indulging in caviar dreams 🛳️

IMG_11302.jpeg.07fc59202128fc90171a8b156601b986.jpeg

I then headed to PRGE and bolted to the Champ Games booth as soon as the doors opened. The booth became essentially a watering hole for the 2600 homebrew herd 😂 I ran into the ZPH power couple James and Tanya there. I met @sramirez2008, Nathan Strum, and Kbeez for the first time. Nathan does all the arts and graphics for John's games and Keebz composed the music for many of John's games. I didn't get a chance to get photos with Nathan, John, and Paul (John's bro) as they were very busy. One of the cool things was that they were burning cartridges right there on the spot--cartridges on demand, so to speak. Some of the games had sold out. It was good seeing John's older games get some love and attention by having a dedicated Champ Games booth.

IMG_1137.jpeg.d31bad858146298b2d114a44c6f2c356.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg.187b1d1bb2390f4d9d98f0aae8fd09d5.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg.3ad5d81889c5f307322254760c91979c.jpeg

I later headed to the massive Atari Age booth and got my first photo with Al. With the bigger booth, it was a much more relaxed browsing experience than last year. I even played a few demos (can't wait for the release of Drone Patrol and Cartesian Chaos). I forgot to check out the 2600+ but not a big deal as I have no interest in it.

IMG_1133.jpeg.34cf763155310b62e54ffe247b25460f.jpeg

Later, I got to hang out with ZPH, Champ Games crew, and Darryl Guenther. I only realized just before we parted ways after dinner that Darryl was the developer of 7800 Popeye that released last year. I heard Steve and Darryl talking about the game's development and testing and wondered how Darryl knew so much about the technical details of the game 😂 I had thought that he must have been just helping the game development with QA support much like Steve. Such a nice guy that Darryl. You, too, Steve 🙂 

IMG_1140.jpeg.768a4f5556dfd70e3b15dc9d78dc74f5.jpeg

I also managed to attend two talks -- one by Mr. Boomshakalaka himself Tim Kitzrow. He's in his mid-60s but you wouldn't know that from his twenty-something energy level. I also attended John and Garry Kitchen's homebrew talk (decided to watch later the recording of the Jaguar 30th anniversary panel).

IMG_1132(1).jpeg.1ae850f8dfcecb0275598837be085b47.jpeg

IMG_1139.jpeg.4c1d2459aa74c6f5959fdea9382bda5e.jpeg

Edited by socrates63

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

It was another memorable PRGE. Every time I attend, I am reminded that while the games and consoles bring us together, it's the people that takes the hobby to another level. Or, is it just me?

Couldn’t agree more. Life is about relationship. I only wish that we all lived closer to one another, so we could get together and play “Atari”. It was great getting to know you and hope to see you soon.